News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 02:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SX4 on 31"s  (Read 2281 times)

Offline 82EagleGSO

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
SX4 on 31"s
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:42:10 PM »
Hi there Eagle fans,

I bought a 1982 SX4 last summer. It runs, but has bad blow-by. I have another block being machined that's good; I'm rebuilding the engine .03 over; nothing fancy mostly stock, but with a 390 4-barrel Holley, 4.0l head swap. I have all the parts. Any input on this conversion would be appreciated.

My bigger question is about tire size and suspension. Currently, the SX4 sits on 31"s. I can't get over the look, it's great, however, the coil springs are being held apart by expanders and 'what I am calling the CV joint' is angled down when it should be straight? Should I take it back to a stock height or do people do this? I do not want a straight axel in the car, I'm not off-roading. Just want a good daily. Thank you!

Offline 82EagleGSO

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: SX4 on 31"s
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:47 PM »
SX4

Offline 82EagleGSO

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:51:25 PM »
Suspension pics

Offline 82EagleGSO

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:52:15 PM »
Suspension pics

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
the CV angle is not bad, probably not lifted that much. tire size will probably be alright with normal coils due to the fact you don't have the fender flairs installed

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
Hi there Eagle fans,

I bought a 1982 SX4 last summer. It runs, but has bad blow-by. I have another block being machined that's good; I'm rebuilding the engine .03 over; nothing fancy mostly stock, but with a 390 4-barrel Holley, 4.0l head swap. I have all the parts. Any input on this conversion would be appreciated.

I put a 4.0L head on my 258, and went with a different cam at that time.  I've been told that the stock cam is just as much to blame as the stock 4.2L head for the poor performance.  Those two upgrades make for a much improved engine!!  Good luck
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk