News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 06:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1987 Eagle Limited AC Expansion Valve  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Jim Bailey

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
1987 Eagle Limited AC Expansion Valve
« on: February 17, 2018, 03:10:38 AM »
My mechanic says I need a new expansion valve. The replacements we can find are 90degree set ups and he says mine is straight (180 degrees). I can not locate any straight ones. Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: 1987 Eagle Limited AC Expansion Valve
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
Wonder what you have?   The AMC parts book shows both the factory and dealer-installed A/C systems to have valves with fittings 90-degrees from each other.   Have a pic of yours??   That may give us a clue.   Just for reference, the factory part number for the factory A/C valve is J3728053 (unobtanium from any of my usual sources).   The dealer-installed American Air version is J8126987 (that one is easy to find - crosses to Four Seasons 38608).   Good luck with it.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Jim Bailey

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
Thanks. My service manual also shows the 90 degree. I have asked him to pull it out and get me a picture and any part numbers on it. Thanks for the cross references.

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
I know this thread is old, but I found it searching for an answer to the same exact problem. I have heard varying stories, but some say that non-factory A/C sometimes had the straight expansion valve. Others say that they are from another AMC product, and towards the end they were running out of parts and just used whatever was lying around that they could make work.

There are two issues...the straight through Expansion Valve is an O-Ring connection, while the 90 degree is a flare. The second is hose routing. I was looking into converting from straight to 90 degree, and while possible it would take a ton of work (rework of the heads on the hoses as well as cut / weld different bends into the evaporator.

But I found a solution.

Old Air Products - oldairproducts.com

Part Number 25-8731.

Hope this helps someone! It took me a few weeks of research to find this and figure it out.
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 12:08:20 AM »
I realize this is an old topic but wanted to provide some more info.  I am changing the expansion valve on my 83 Eagle Wagon.  Purchased a 90 degree valve for 12.95.  Reading the TSM it says to remove the package tray only...has anyone ever actually replaced the valve and only had to remove the package tray?!  I was removing the dash to repair and repaint it but there is no way I would be able to replace the valve w only the package tray removed.  Removing the 'sticky tape' is a real ordeal.  That stuff is unreal strong.  When I finally cut thru it to try and start pulling it apart all kinds of rust fell out.  Seems there was some sort of bracket holding the bulb to the line and it was completely rusted away.  I have not put wrenches to the lines...will let them soak in PB Blaster for a few days.  I have the serpentine belt set-up and, yes, the expansion valve is NOT the 90 degree.  Thanks for the info from JR on the Old Air expansion valve (they do not even have a listing for AMC parts!).  The bummer is the part is $88! They also carry the awful 'sticky tape' used to insulate the valve...that will be a challenge to install ! Still a ways to go to complete the replacement but, hopefully it will get my a/c back to full cold!
Update to the install:  Removing the expansion valve nearly caused me to throw in the towel.  Took almost 2 weeks.  Getting wrenches on the fittings is nearly impossible.  The one near the firewall required a 3/4' crows foot.  Also need a 3/4' to hold the valve while trying to turn the fittings.  The bigger one is 7/8".  Tried PB blaster for several days w no luck.  Tried my induction heater w no luck (read that brass and heat do not really work).  Saw a youtube video comparing various penetrating oils and the guy use trans fluid mixed w acetone...used that for several days and finally broke the fittings loose.  This is not a job for the faint of heart!.  Got the new valve installed...only required 3 retightens to get it to hold vacuum.  Now in search of a direct replacement receiver/dryer.  Anyone have a good source?  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 04:12:53 PM by marty »

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 09:34:37 AM »
hi, my 84 also had the "straight" expansion valve. These are available from Mustang resto places, like CJ Pony parts, about $100.  Good luck,  gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk