News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 11:06:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vacuum Line 102  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Idaho eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Vacuum Line 102
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:13 AM »
Some thoughts and tips about vacuum lines.

I was reading DIREWOLF's thread elsewhere, and Vacuum lines 101 above, and factoring in my current project of Mountain Eaglet, and decided to post some comments.

First of all is to understand that there is not an all inclusive vacuum diagram anywhere.

Secondly you need to know what your goal is.  Some examples are to get 4x4 shifting to work, to have vacuum for the brake booster, to get the cruise control to work again, to meet pollution control regulations, to make repairs, to do maintenance and replace old, 30 to 38 years worth of old rubber or vinyl or nylon.

Thirdly you need to educate yourself about the different vacuum systems that are on your car.   You do not need to know everything, but you do need to understand the system you're going to be working on as determined by your goal.

Fourthly, you need to figure out what you have and what is missing.

And fifthly, you need a plan.

Next some tips, especially tools you will need.

Two or three copies of the specific vacuum digram you will be working from.

Colored markers.

White paint pen, can be purchased from Walmart.

Tools for cutting the hose neatly and squarely.

Mighty Vac vacuum pump.

Technical Service Manual or Chilton AMC coupes/ sedans/ wagons 1975-88 repair manual (14300).

As part of this 'course', I will explain that not all hoses are created equal and I will explain each of the five points above in separate posts using my Mountain Eaglet as an example.  Also, I will explain the use of each of the tools mentioned above.

I think I'll start a new thread in hatchlings and introduce myself. For here let met say that I am a journeyman maintenance mechanic and have been an adjunct faculty member at a junior college. So I do have the skills to develop a course like this.  My Mountain Eaglet has the simplest emissions vacuum diagram of all the eagles.  However it had a 🔥 and some of the emissions components are just gone. :(
Therefore there should be enough of a challenge to illustrate how to repair or replace the vacuum hoses. :)

Offline trooper5707

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Vacuum Line 102
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:13:30 AM »
sounds useful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk