News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 07:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cross country in an new to us eagle!!!!  (Read 11111 times)

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Cross country in an new to us eagle!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:01 AM »
welcome and that is a nice wagon dude.  I also have an 80 wagon but is nowhere near as nice as yours is. If if you want to see what it looks like click the link below in my post. BTW I'm in southern Colorado in the Pueblo area.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Mauieagle80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »
Well we made it to the rockies!!! Where an eagle can fly! Turns out we have to get a windsheild put in in denver. So we are at Latinos auto glass. The only window i could find in the region was right around the corner from here. We will be in denver today and tomorrow. Today may be busy but if any of you other denver eagle folks are around tommorrow it would be fun to gather round some where. Just let me know. Anybody can call me at 937 232 7338. My name is Shane.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »
Do you have any plans to see the Rambler Ranch while in Colorado? This is a must for any AMC fan if you have the time.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Mauieagle80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
We made it!! 4000 miles through 13 states in a 37 year old  Eagle! It was a fun trip and the bird is sitting in california waiting on a boat to take it to paradise. It did see some pretty countryside. From the Ohio river valleys to the driftless parts of the midwest, we saw the worlds only corn palace, and swam in hot springs of Colorado. We climbed mountains deep in mining country then rolled down the canyon walls and through pucker pass in Moab and blasted across the deserts at night past the lights of sin city at night. The Eagle never slipped a tire and only once dragged the hitch. It wasnt without trouble as we had a mildly serious oil spraying issue. It used about a quart every 2 tanks so not in the emergency realm. We had to replace the windsheild in denver because the shippers wouldnt take it with broken glass. We got it replaced by a great lil glass shop by the name of Latinos auto glass. After taking the jeep shortcut out of Arches national park and over to Long Trail road down pucker pass the well worn rubber parts of the front end seemed almost non existent. But it slill handled fine on the road even with the soft rubber of the swampers on it. We averaged around 13.5-14 mpg even with about 700lbs of cargo inside and on top of the roof.
  Even with never before riding in an eagle me and my lady love Josi both got very comfortable in it. Nice smooth ride and those big comfy seats really took care of us. We rented a new crew cab half ton dodge in san diego and after about an hour we were both complaining about how uncomfortable the ride was compared to our Eagle. We cant wait to get it here so our dogs can enjoy it with us. I already have some new gaskets and a rear main seal coming. Thinking about getting a weber 38 to match my jeeps motor this weekend too. Its missing a headliner so we will probably do a hawaiin floral fabric for that and should be cool. I will get more pictures up soon and will make some youtube videos of the trip i will post.  And no unfortunately we didnt make it to the rambler ranch but we saw quite a few amcs  up in  Mordo SD. Mostly Rebels Amxs and a Pacer.   Aloha everyone!!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
Glad to hear you had a safe trip and the Eagle performed so well.  It's great that you didn't have any  vehicles issues to deal with.  I'm sorry we weren't able to meet up when you were in Denver, you had a pretty packed schedule so maybe another time lol.  Looking forward to the pictures and videos.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
Good to hear it was good trip.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Fantastic report!  Good to know there are other Eagles out there making the cross-country journey.  I'm no expert, but I've worked through several of the issues you mentioned.  My advice would be to combine that rear main seal job with a front suspension rebuild.  If you are doing control arm bushings anyway, you are most of the way to getting the oil pan out from below.

Congrats on a great trip!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Mauieagle80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 02:03:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice i wil most likely be tearing all that apart at once. Hopefully i get a little more life out of the motor if i can get it to hold it oil. Other wise i have a few good and fun and crazy options to keep the eagle flying. Have a the original 258 out of my cj waiting on full rebuild, a v8 zj that we are replacing with a bronco, or a 302 5spd 1356 combo if i want to get crazy. Only time will tell.
And here is a few more pitcures for yall.

Offline Mauieagle80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 02:12:23 AM »

Offline Mauieagle80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 02:14:52 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk