News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 03:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Roof-top tent on eagle kammback?  (Read 15754 times)

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Roof-top tent on eagle kammback?
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
Anyone put a roof top tent on their Eagles?  These are the kind that attach to the roof-rack and flip open.  And have a
Adder to climb up.  Would a Eagle roof handle this?  I've seen little Suburu's with them on, an Eagle would be so much better!!!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: Roof-top tent on eagle kammback?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
I recently put a roof basket on my wagon. I ended up using gutter mounted cross bars for strength.  The stock roof rails would never hold the weight of a tent.  The top sheet metal is pretty thin, and would collapse with any serious weight.  I thought I might be able to climb onto the roof at one point, but no way - it would dent instantly.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
I recently looked into this too.  Mt wife wanted to do the same thing as we like to camp down on the national seashore near Corpus Christi .  I told her that I really would rather not subject our "classic" car to the salt and sand of the beach.  My wife is petite but there is just no way that my 240lb self is going to climb up on that roof without something getting dented or broken.  (I'm talking about the roof  ;D)
1983 Eagle Wagon 6 cylinder/Automatic 4x4

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »
I've seen pictures of these tents on top of little foreign suv's, I sure wouldn't want to hurt my Kammback's roof though.  It has a roof rack, the tent base would be on the bars, but all the weight would be carried at the 4 points where it connects to the roof. 

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
I don't think the factory roof racks on a Kammback were ever intended to carry much weight.  I think you'd be better off having the tent separate, then you wouldn't have to empty it out and fold it up anytime you wanted to go for a cruise while camping.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk