News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need to know which bolts to buy  (Read 3160 times)

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
I need to know which bolts to buy
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
for the transmission crossmember and skid plat.  When I got my car it had no transmission.  I now have the transmission and transfer case hooked up, and bought the crossmember and skid plate.  It is missing the bolts to hold the crossmember and skid plate up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: I need to know which bolts to buy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:08:16 PM »
I have my skid plate out right now, and just checked the baggy of bolts.  There are 5 bolts, and they are all 3/8-16 and 1" long.  They have some really beefy washers, 1/8" thick - and the washers are captured on the bolts so they can't be removed.  They have a grade marking "EL" and 3 hash marks, like the attached picture.  Not sure this matters, grade 8 would likely be fine.

If you had asked last week I could have gotten you the trans crossmember too.  I just put it back in a couple days ago.  Let's see if somebody else can help out before I unbolt it again, please.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:36:55 AM »
Thank you.  I will hit eBay and see if I can locate them.  If not maybe an old Jeep?  I got the crossmember on, now I'm trying to figure out how to put on the transmission braces.  I filled the transmission and transfer case with fluid. 

The clutch won't engage.  I will be bleeding the hydraulic clutch Monday.  If that doesn't work I will drop the transmission back out and make sure the clutch is aligned properly.

Gotta love the hoops. 

At least the motor hums.  It sounds so good I can't wait to get it going.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:06:40 AM »
hi, unless you are doing a 100 point restoration, you do not need original bolts.  3/8"-16 x 1" is a common bolt available at any hardware store. The captive washers are nice, but not necessary, a regular washer will do fine. good luck, gz

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
I've ordered from www.boltdepot.com recently and they had grade 8 stuff pretty cheap. They will certainly have those bolts.

Sounds like you've got the trans crossmember figured out, but I peeked under mine and remembered that there are two bolts in the center at the rubber mount. Then there are two studs coming out of the rocker on each side, and you would need nuts (not bolts) to mount the crossmember to the body.

Not sure what you mean by braces, but I haven't spent a lot of time with the trans.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk