News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 81 Spirit auto trans into 81 Eagle with auto trans  (Read 2633 times)

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
81 Spirit auto trans into 81 Eagle with auto trans
« on: March 12, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
I want to swap automatic transmissions from a  amc Spirit into a amc eagle.  Both have the iron duke 4 cylinder engines.  Will this be possible, I know one has 4 wheel drive and the other doesn't.  Thanks.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 81 Spirit auto trans into 81 Eagle with auto trans
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
So are you keeping 4wd.

Manitowoc WI

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
Yes, can I use the automatic from a non 4 wheel drive, into a 4 wheel drive?  Thanks.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »
Yes, can I use the automatic from a non 4 wheel drive, into a 4 wheel drive?  Thanks.
Only if you want the Eagle to be 2wd after the transmission swap. The back of the 4wd transmission is different to accept the transfer case.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:37:11 PM »
hi, short answer, NO. tailshafts are completely different. the question is, why? If your original trans is shot, a professional rebuild is about $900, including removal/TQ/reinstall. Maybe a little more where you live. I recommend you get your original trans rebuilt, and you will get another 20+ years out of it. good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk