News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member, just dragged my '84 eagle wagon from Sandusky back to Detroit  (Read 4807 times)

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
I just wanted to make a preliminary 'hello' post.  I'm digging deep into this forum and putting together a big list of little things to do for this car.  From the looks of it my car has been exceptionally well taken car of and I intend to continue that legacy.  I believe this car's got about 158k miles on it, the rest of the key information about my experience is on my personal blog here.  I come from the electronics world and see plenty of people documenting projects on hackaday.io, github.io, blogger, forums, and I chose wordpress and rather like it as an archive of my personal content.  I will of course chat here on the forums and work out what I want to do (or need to do) but when something I do is wrapped up I'll pack it up into a blog post.  I am excited about the wiki and am considering what might be useful to put up there from what I dig out of the forum. 

I am very excited to be here and am already working on some fixes and upgrades to my new ride!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: New member, just dragged my '84 eagle wagon from Sandusky back to Detroit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »
Welcome from another recently "hatched" Eagle owner.  This forum has plenty of info, and I've been saved already on my project by following the guidance of those that have come before us. Good luck with your project.

FYI, I took a look at your site.  The thing you taped in place on your air cleaner is part of the TAC system, I believe.  That vacuum motor controls a trap door that should close when the engine is not running, I assume to control escaping vapor.  As long as it's open your car should run fine.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
Nice looking ride!  Good luck with it.  Yours may be the only Eagle besides mine with a 3rd brake light!  I installed mine just because I thought it would be a cool little project. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
Nice looking ride!  Good luck with it.  Yours may be the only Eagle besides mine with a 3rd brake light!  I installed mine just because I thought it would be a cool little project.

I actually don't like how much of my visibility it takes up, but I do like having one.  I bought this and it just came in yesterday, so I will be mounting a strip  (diffused) right along the top lip so it doesn't obstruct my vision. 

If anyone else wants it they're welcome to the one I take off (the fog lights I took off really weren't worth anything).  I'm coming from the world of finding parts for my 1957 chevrolet 210 and getting acquainted with the concept of 'parts not available' which just doesn't exist for tri-fives. 

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
Nice ride! Are those the stock Eagle Mudflaps?

If you want stock Fog lights they are the Marchal 750/759

Enjoy your new ride!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
Not sure on the mud flaps. 

My thoughts on fog lights are they should be low and yellow, to this en I was planning to experiment with a yellow LED strip inside a piece of aluminum c-channel running almost the whole length of the bumper.  I eventually want a brush guard/push bar but that is a ways off, so I figured I'd experiment with fog lights now to see if it'd work.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:13:14 PM by abzman »

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
Added a few more entries for small things I did this weekend.  I'm building up courage to tackle a rebuild of the carter stepper carb (and researching what I might want to replace it with/how to rewire and reroute the engine compartment after).  I ended up getting two spare carbs so I'll rebuild one of the ones I'm not using and try swapping it on to see if it helps.  Incidentally I also got three spare transmissions but that's a bigger project for a later date (anyone need parts?)

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:05 PM »
Good looking car ! I wish my cars would have started that nice. By the time I got any of them they were pretty beat.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
I can see why you didn't like that third brake light, it looked like it was quite an obstruction!  I like the LED strip concept.

I went to the junkyard and found a brake light that looked like it would fit and installed it in my Kammback.  I did a thread on installing it way back when but it got lost in one of the big deletes.  Here are a couple pictures.

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
that looks really nice, like it was supposed to be there.  Since I did mine I found out VHB does not like being applied in the cold so I'll have to redo that in a heated garage. 

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Moved this to a proper project thread: http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=46070

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk