News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vibration between 50-65  (Read 3035 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Vibration between 50-65
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »
Where to begin.  I THINK I may have found the source but I want a second opinion.

My '86 wagon has 1980 front/rear axles installed to change the gear ratio from 2.35 to 3.08.  I did that last year.  It seems as though, ever since I bought the car back in 2014, it has has a slight vibration on the highway between 50-65.  The dash would wiggle up and down a bit, but nothing that was violent.  Most noticeable in my butt and down by my feet.  Hardly anything in the steering wheel.  A few weeks ago I thought I'd use a few days off to try and tackle the problem.

Up to this point, the car has had the following done with no change to the problem:

New tires
Axle change to 3.08 1980 units
Rear axle rebuilt (new bearings and seals, outer bearings re-packed)
All new U-joints
Changed to factory aluminum rims
Tires road-force balanced
New trans mount
No back end sag
Car has no lift.  Stock height, stock tire size.
258, rebuilt TF998 transmission, NP129 t-case
All new brakes and shocks

Since I had some time to mess around, I pulled the rear driveshaft and noted some vise marks, probably caused by myself as I changed the u-joints way back when.  I took it to get it balanced and for the heck of it, had them install brand new u-joints.

Install the balanced rear shaft and now I can't get on the highway and exceed 45 due to a bad groaning vibration in the same location, beneath my arse and in the floor boards.  I go home and notice that a shop previous had noticed the u-joint straps on the transfer case end were worn and had made shims to hold the u-joint tight.  They had fallen out, so I put them back in until I could get new straps.  Vibration was then pretty bad still but I could at least go 55 before it started.  I bought new straps for that yoke and put them in.  At that time I noticed that, before tightening them down, I could move the u-joint and it's caps back and forth slightly in the yoke.  Like there was extra space between the two locating tabs.  Can a yoke be bent or stretched?  Do they simply wear out?  Maybe the loose straps contributed to the wear.

Anyway, I pulled the front driveshaft and noticed no change.  Rules that out.  I also tried moving the u-joint around in the yoke and strapping it down in different positions and this seemed to change the speed at which the vibrations start.  Does it seem reasonable to assume that replacing the yoke with a better one should solve this issue once and for all?  On a scale of 1 beer to 10, how bad is it to replace a rear t-case yoke and seal?  If I can do it without an impact I'll do it myself.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:27:01 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Vibration between 50-65
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:14 PM »
Did you pull the slip yoke apart? If you did check the alignment of the u-joints. U-joint crosses must be on the same plane at each end of the driveshaft. This image: http://avtoservizi.com/announcement/pictures/fb8f7edab3dc0a251a1ed5f28f0ed75a.jpg shows a driveshaft with the u-joints properly aligned. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:56 AM »
Or somebody maybe installed the wrong U-joint with slightly smaller cap diameters??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »
I have seen the yokes come off easily. Trying to get it off might show you it was loose in the first place. Maybe even a cause.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 06:15:56 AM »
I had the exact same issue with my 83. Changed the t-case, differential yoke and had the driveshaft balanced. Vibration gone.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
The driveshafts are in-phase.  I made sure of that.

I used the u-joint called for by the book, so I'm almost sure it's the right one.  The previous one would have to have been wrong too, since I've now had two joints in every position.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk