News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 05:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Static timing AMC 258 @ sea level with HEI  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Static timing AMC 258 @ sea level with HEI
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »
For those of you running an HEI ignition on your 258's what are you setting your initial timing at?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Static timing AMC 258 @ sea level with HEI
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »
I seem to remember my timing setting was initially the same. However my plugs needed a wider gap. I think i went to .05 to make it happy. Right now its in storage for me to do an extensive resto on it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »
Sounds like its going to be a sweet ride when it's done.

This car is going to be a tbi car with ecm controlled timing. 10* should do it, right?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:54:04 AM »
Should be a good starting point. Mine was a MC carb.

Manitowoc WI

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 01:02:30 AM »
DUI recommended Autolite platinum plugs gapped between .050-.055. So thats what I used.  I also upgraded my wires to 8.5 mm.  The website recommends 8mm but I got a deal and went thicker. 

I just changed my leaf springs and rear shocks and am starting on the front end suspension this week!

Good Luck!!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:13:13 AM by ChickenFarmer3 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk