News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: front dana 30 cover  (Read 4861 times)

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
front dana 30 cover
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
hi this just MIGHT be an answer to the front diff cover lube replacement problem. check out this cover at www.yourcovers.com , go to differential covers, and scroll to Dana 30. Its not the same profile as stock, but I just went out and measured, and it looks like it just might JUST fit with about 1/4' clearance left. Anybody ever try this cover? thanks gz

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: front dana 30 cover
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
hi the above place www.yourcovers.com also has an interesting aluminum valve cover that is supposed to replace the plastic one WITHOUT any modification. thanks gz

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »
Here's the diff cover http://www.yourcovers.com/diffcover_5058.php and here's the valve cover http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_8656.php.
I like the drain on the front cover, but it may still be difficult to fill.

I like the how they have the oil baffles set up on the valve cover.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »
hi, a friend of mine just purchased the VALVE cover above, and we just put it in his 84 wagon last week. Let me say that it is a VERY high quality piece. Made in the USA, so it costs more than your average aluminum cover. First off all, the head  DOES need a little modification. The holes on the passenger side still need to be drilled and tapped. Only 3 of them, no big deal. What makes this cover different from the rest, is that there is no need to drill and tap anything on the DRIVERS side,which is the problem area, that's where you can drill too deep and get water. It is held down by on that side by two large flanges, like stock, that go over the headbolt studs. One of the best features is the oil fill cap. Most of ours are a piece of hard rubber that is a pain to remove/install and still seeps. The oil cap on this cover is THREADED billet aluminum, with a knurled hand grip, and an O-ring seal! It screws in! How cool is that! leak free. Anyway, a really nice piece for those who don't mind spending a couple of bucks. I would get one myself if I didn't already have two of the "normal" ones from 4wd  Hardware. And no, i don't work for them, I live in Virginia, these covers are made in California, but, once again, a really nice piece. You get what you pay for! good luck, y'all! gz

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
Made in the USA! Thanks for posting their products.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 01:10:42 AM »
hi, a while back I purchased the above Dana 30 cover. Finally got it in. It WILL fit,....BUT...not easily. first of all, We had to shave most of the fins down, all the way to the main body of the cover, mostly the middle and drivers side. This gives you about 1/4' clearance to the crossmember, ok, but NO WAY can you ever access the front fill holes.. So, I had a 1/2" NPT hole drilled into the Passenger side of the cover, with a new plug, at the correct level. Now it can be easily drained, bottom plug, and relatively easily filled, side plug. . A lot of money and time to fix a not really huge problem, but there it is. Most Eagle owners neglect the front diff, just because it's so hard to drain and replace fluid, Now I have no excuse. Believe me, when I opened this diff up, it was (about 1/2) full of the most ungodly looking crud, dark brown, with chunks! I can't really say, but it may not have been changed since  the car was new, in 1984! It was still somewhat greasy, so I think my diff is ok. Whew! On a similar note, I also rebuilt my Power Steering pump, yes, I rebuilt the one in the car,did NOT get a new one. Same deal, the old fluid in there was HORRIBLE, and chunky. Very glad I did it, a PS rebuild kit is only about $15., mostly O-rings and a seal, available anywhere, but the job is a PITA, mostly due to the difficulty of removing and reinstalling the pulley and main shaft bushing. Moral of this story is, don't just top up your fluids!, but flush out the old and replace with new. Your car will thank you! good luck, gz

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
Wish they had an option for a modified head, I like the design. Not much more than what I originally paid for my aluminum valve cover.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk