News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solid axle swap info  (Read 17996 times)

Offline Scout12 bravo

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Solid axle swap info
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
So I see the topic of sas comes up pretty regularly, but not with much specific information on a build.  I understand that each build can be different and tailored to a builders needs. In general, what is the consensus on the most strait forward axle to use, and its suspension set up?  I see in most pictures that it's a leaf spring set up, but with what axle?  Any thoughts or info would be awesome

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Solid axle swap info
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »
Let me preface this with I haven't done this myself. I took the easy way out and bought one already done, sold it though. There was more info, but a lot was lost in what we call the "big delete" a while back. We used to have a member Mick who has done several SAS Eagles, but much of his info is gone. The front axle you choose will depend on how hard core you want to wheel your Eagle. A Dana 30 from a Wrangler(YJ) for leaf spring or Cherokee for coil springs are a good match for a mild build.  Leaf springs will be the easiest for a novice. Coil springs requires some knowledge of proper set up of a linked suspension.  It's not a simple undertaking and I've seen a couple Eagles that have had the SAS done that shouldn't be allowed on the road for safety reasons.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
If you plan a serious offroader, then Grand Wagoneer axles may be what you want.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
I have done several, and still may have a thread here.  I have a fixture for making the sub-frame for free if you are willing to come pick it up in CA.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:08 AM »
Hey guys,

This looks like a great place to drop some questions. I am back at working on Harry once again. It seams that since the weather has changed and changed back and I managed to overcome the chassis rot that almost sent him to the big parking lot in the sky Harry now is scrubbing the inside tread off the tires.

I have a full list of thing that need replaced and parts alone would put me at $600 to repair something that is destined to probably last a little while and come back potentially worse.

I have performed a 2 SAS swaps on my Bronco and have a good understanding of the things that need to happen for it to be safe to drive and fun to drive.  I would like to ask if we could find some links to a (successful) leaf spring swap. I have been looking the interwebs over and have found some pictures that get you all hot and bothered but don't let you get in and see what the chassis looks like underneath.

I have been looking at YJ front leaf springs since the weight of the 2 are going to be somewhat similar. The Fabricator parts are out there to be purchased and so far I am leaning towards a leaf over the link suspension. Harry is still able to pull off a daily drive but I'm not sure how much longer the tires are going to make it and I think the wheel bearings are reaching the end of their usable life and with the combination of poor alignment things just snow ball out from there.

I am looking for things such as springs that have been proven to work well and overall expectations of lift height. We would like to run 31x10.50x15. I believe we will be shooting for a 3.55 ratio axle set.

YJ axles are pretty scarce from where I'm at but ZJ and XJ axles are plentiful I think that the bracketry for the link can be stripped off to allow spring perches to be installed. I say think because the while the passenger side has a 2 1/2 long tube to place the perch the Drivers side has far less options.

Will it work out okay with the springs directly under the chassis rails?

Is the steering draglink going to be a problem or is that a easy one?

Is there a combination of springs that that work well height wise? "like 1.5" over front YJ's up front and 3" over XJ's in the rear" 

This is what Harry looks like We've had him for going on 1yr. now.

This my Bronco it's been on leafs for now 6 months and it drives and rides so much better everywhere on the interstate you have to keep an eye on it otherwise you'll be doing 80 and not realize it. 

It's abused regularly I have yet to see anyone in my group traverse this pit.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
If I was going to lift my Eagle, I would go long arm with coils.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »
It's   not that I'm against a link style suspension but leaf is just so easy to set up. I saw the thread again of the person who fabricated a whole sub chassis and I really like that idea. I am just thinking time wise and stuff leafs would be far cheaper all around except for the fact i had purchased some heim joints to build a long travel rear suspension for my ranger that I have lost interest in. I could build a very nice long arm system for this thing. So at this point I dont know what direction to head with the thing.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
I have a fixture for fabricating a front sub-frame, and it is yours for the taking if you come and get it here in So. Cal.  I have done several conversions, and my first one was on an '83 wagon the same color as yours (signature photo).......Rich
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:28:15 PM by rollguy »
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »
It was yours I was talking about then. Maybe if things work out and I go to the Baja1000 again like the plan is I can pick it up.

Just how big is the fixture out of curiosity.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »
It was yours I was talking about then. Maybe if things work out and I go to the Baja1000 again like the plan is I can pick it up.

Just how big is the fixture out of curiosity.
It is about 5 feet long, as wide as an Eagle at the spring pockets, and about 3 feet tall.  I have a photo somewhere, I will look for it....Rich

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:58 AM »
do you have any pictures or maybe a thread of your work. I could see a link suspension going together quite easy.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »
I'm with Carnuck on this, long arm/coils setup would be the best. Better on road manners than the leaf spring setup. I've seen someone put the leaf springs on their Eagle and it looks pretty aweful.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
I'm with Carnuck on this, long arm/coils setup would be the best. Better on road manners than the leaf spring setup. I've seen someone put the leaf springs on their Eagle and it looks pretty aweful.
Yes, there's been a couple leaf spring attempts that look awfully unsafe, but Rich's setup looked really good.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »
I've had better success with leafs than links. I am leaning toward the raduis arm or long arm as Jeep people say.

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 11:59:22 PM »
I located a XJ axle today from a 93' High pinion 3.55 gears non  disconnect. I can build anything i need but the less fab i need to do the faster old harry runs once more.

Does anyone know if a hornet engine cross member will bolt into the eagle chassis and locate the engine properly without getting in the way of the  axle? I'm fairly  certain the the eagle cross member is not going to work out with new axle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk