News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 07:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SR4 Problem  (Read 14970 times)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
SR4 Problem
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
Okay so I have got my new Spirit running.  But the SR4 trans is toast.  It has no 3rd or 4th gear.  1st,  2nd,  and reverse work fine.  Are these easy to repair?  Or should I swap it out to another model tranny?  I have no idea where to locate a donor trans that will bolt right in with no hassle.  All I can find around my parts are 4 wheel drive manuals.  Nothing for 2 wheel drive AMC's.  I have heard that mustang trannys will fit but not GM?  I guess for now I will drive around with the gears that work LOL.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: SR4 Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
Mustang T-5 bolt right up. NWC though if I remember right.4WD only parts seems a nice problem to have..
 Ship some of those this way to KC.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
Re: SR4 Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
OK so today I will begin to pull the broken SR-4 from the car.  I have found a T-5 from a 1988 mustang on the local craigslist for 200.  I hope it's good seller claims no internal damage.  I will do a side by side photo comparison of the two trannys for future reference so other 2wd guys considering a swap have some info.  So far I only found that 79 - 93  T-5's work with minor modifications.  Will continue in the projects thread.  AX-15 is another option but due to their rarity and high cost I unfortunately have to go this route.  Stay tuned for more fun and aggravation..... :rotfl:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk