News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stiff brakes  (Read 6667 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
stiff brakes
« on: November 26, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
So when I went down to buy an eagle on Sunday, I got down there (about a full day of driving there and back) there and after discussing the car and price, he told me he didn't have the title as he registered it and it was in the mail.  It wasted my time but I'm not the kind of person to get mad. I did however get to drive an eagle for the first time. Really fin, and its really all I can think about on my free time.  I was having so much fun I forgot to test out the 4x4, and other things I wanted to check out.  I did notice the brakes were pretty stiff. It may be because my car now has a brake hack job, and the pedal is half air then brake pressure. I don't know.  I was just wondering if they are all pretty stiff or is there any specific reason.  fortunately if I do know anything about fixing cars its brakes, so there's that.  I do know the ad said it could use brake pads. Could I just be dumb and overlooking something that simple?  I don't hear any rubbing like they were worn down.

On another note does anybody have a good pic of the dashboard that shows the 4x4 switch? I think i know where it is but i want to know for sure.  (by the steering column on the drivers side?) its an sx4 by the way.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: stiff brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
What year SX4? If 80 or 81 there won't be a switch since they are fulltime AWD. Switch is on the left side under the headlight switch. Stiff brakes are usually a bad booster. Non ABS brakes are fairly simple once you know how they work. I hate it when a seller waits till you get there to tell you they don't have a title. "It's in the mail" yeah, ok. Next time make yourself a checklist a head of time so you don't forget to look over everything. There are a few checklists you can find online for looking at a used car.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
This ones 81. I had no idea it had no switch. Learn something new every day.  I figured booster if anything. Installed a new one in my lebaron. There was no space to bolt it on at all. It sucked. :P 
Sure it wouldn't be as hard to install.  think it would be ok to travel a bit

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
Check to see if the vacuum hose is connected to the booster.  Select shift was an option beginning around January of '81 so it may or may not have it.  As mentioned it is on the lower left of the dash board.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
the 4x4 switch is pictured here in an image from IowaEagle's owners manual right under the headlight and wiper switches

I would check if you are getting vacuum to your brake booster, and also check the condition of the hose going to it, otherwise you may have a bad brake booster. some vehicles also had a one way valve installed in the line or on the booster, which may have been installed wrong.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:57:23 PM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
I've done boosters before but not vacuums.. Is that hard/expensive?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
Its just a vacuum line to the booster.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
its not hard at all for the most part. generally 15 lbs of vacuum or more is wanted for vacuum to the booster
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »
You lost me. 15 lbs? I know you're saying 15 lbs of pressure, but how do you get that

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »
i meant 15 lbs of vacuum. some people use a mity vac to check vacuum.  i must be losing my mind tonight. :-[
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
15 inches of vacuum. (the amount of vacuum required to draw mercury 15 inches up a graduated cylinder) Reverse of pressure which is measured in lbs.

I will eventually switch mine to Hydroboost. Since I plan to haul trailer and keep the junk out of the car (except my toolbox) If the car smells like grease and oil, my wife won't ride in it as it gives her a headache. I'm heading out to finish tearing out the front carpet so the moldy smell from when the heater leaked before I replaced it last year will be gone.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk