News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 01:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is this sensor?  (Read 17918 times)

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
What is this sensor?
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »
I have a 304 in my '74 Matador wagon.  When I put it in the air, I noticed some things, so I thought I'd ask here.

These pictures are of the same sensor, on the passenger side exhaust near the starter.  What exactly does this sensor do? 
The small loop is flopping around, which makes me wonder if it's functional.  Everything seems to operate just as it's supposed to...

I also noticed the bottom of the canister filter by the washer fluid bottle.  Is it missing something?   ???

Thanks in advance for your advice and insight.

Kevin
Medina,  OH

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: What is this sensor?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
The first 3 images are of the manifold heat riser. When cold it partially blocks the exhaust and deflects hot combustion gases into passages in the intake manifold. It results in better vaporization of the incoming fuel-air charge until the coolant heats up enough to take over the task. By that time the heat riser should be completely open and allow exhaust gases to pass through unrestricted.

The coil is a thermostatic spring that winds and unwinds according to surrounding temperature. It is what operates the heat riser.

You should be able to move the heat riser up and down by hand while the engine is cold. If it doesn't move spray some WD-40 or similar product on the shaft where it goes into the exhaust and work it by hand until it rotates freely. The shaft sticks through on the other side of the exhaust. Spray both ends.

I'm not sure what the other device is, so I'll defer to someone else. :eagle:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:36:49 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
Looks like you got the answer to the part I wasn't sure of.  

The canister is part of the emissions system and connects to the gas tank vent among other things.  It appears from your pictures that it is missing the bottom.  

My SX4 canister looks like it was glued on with RTV.  I am not sure if that was a P.O. applied aftermarket option or if it was factory.   Mine is detached and dangling at the moment.  On the list of less critical fixes to take care of since I have everything plugged for adjustments.  I looked at it breifly in disgust and it seems like it was supposed to have two/a few clicky tabby-poos that hold it in place that have been broken off.  Not sure if it served any purpose other than to seal the bottom off.  Maybe someone else can chime in on that.  

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:35:21 PM by lapoltba »

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »
I understand about the manifold heat riser and the flat thermostatic spring-- but what threw me off was the smaller ring-shaped loop to the right that's extremely loose.  I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.  It seems like it's just dangling there.

Also, should I be hunting for a new "bottom" for the canister?  I'd like to keep everything functioning the way it was designed if possible.

Kevin

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
I'll venture a guess and say that it's a return spring of some sort, or at least what's left of it.  Where it attaches and what it is suppose to look like fully intact I am not sure.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
The charcoal canister should operate as normal with the bottom missing

It would have had a cover on the bottom at some point, I have had some with just a flat cover on the bottom and my eagle had a tube that extended out of the bottom and just went down to the frame below the radiator, kinda like a drain pipe

As someone else mentioned its part of the emissions system and is basically a filter for evaporated fuel instead of just letting it out into the atmosphere
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
Some had a vented bottom to allow vaporization if the cannister was flooded (ie: Filling the tank to the very top, no matter how many clicks it takes) That one may have been taken apart (to allow the charcoal to evaporate clean enough to pass emission testing) or damaged in an accident (possibly on another car) and glued back together.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »
That small spring is an anti-rattle spring, without it you would hear a mechanical noise coming from it. From the picture it looks to be fine, just the way it should be. Check heat riser by hand for movement when engine cold, might spray the shaft with penetrating fluid to keep it freed up. You can also gun engine a little and before warm up and observe riser movement that way if you can see it ok, although it might not open all the way, so best manually.        ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk