News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 09:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spirit with this engine/4sp manual  (Read 14779 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Spirit with this engine/4sp manual
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
Hi all.

On a famous classified site, there is a Spirit with this motor and a four speed.  I wondered if anyone here had any experience with it as I have exactly....none. It is tempting me....

Thanks in advance.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
Re: Spirit with this engine/4sp manual
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »
I've never owned/driven/worked on one, but let me put it this way... if you ever rob a bank, don't use it as your getaway car.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
I have never had a Spirit with the Audi engine, but I did have a Gremlin once with one, that was many years ago. I drove it in high school while I was fixing my Javelin up

I remember it got decent gas milage, was a little under powered for the weight of a Gremlin, but then again I was compairing it to my built 360 javelin!

Not sure how hard parts would be to find now days
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »
It's basically the same motor used in Porsche 924 till '82. I was going to put the EFI and everything from the Porsche into the Postal Jeep I had with that motor. DJ5-G came with them and 904 automatics.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:06:37 PM »
Sorry I missed this post earlier.  We saved a 1978 Gremlin with this engine.  It had been sitting for 8 years but we were able to get it running without many problems.  It was pretty underpowered, and had problems going up the smallest of hills with much speed.

We sold the Gremlin to someone who put a 401 into it.  The new owner sold the engine and it now resides at the Rambler Ranch.

You can still see the masking tape we used to mark the plug wires!

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
They can be perked up a lot. A 5 speed with lower axle ratio would be good but they aren't the same as 2.5L.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
I suspect they're more for revving than the 2.5 and need to be geared accordingly. I find them interesting.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
I have one of these, it came with my spirit coupled to an automatic.  They do not make much power but thank AMC for the single barrel carb for that.  They will never make a lot of power but being the only OHC engine available from AMC they offer some interesting characteristics.  The 121 can rev way higher than it's OHV counterpart.  When comparing one of these engine to an iron duke, i think the advantages come through.  Sure there are variations of the iron duke which can yield ridiculous HP, they require extensive modification, exotic parts, and/or complete engine swaps.  To take a stock duke and stock 121 and modify them both, the 121 will be stronger and produce more HP and torque but at a much higher RPM.  The duke will always provide more low end torque due to its push rod configuration.  The AMC 121 can also be fitted with dual weber carbs for more fuel/air capability and increased throttle response which is difficult to achieve with the duke.  FYI, I own both an AMC 121 and a SD-4 version of the iron duke and can't decide which one I like better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk