News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 09:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: gear swap  (Read 5217 times)

amc1989

gear swap
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:57:54 AM »
I have an 81 SX4 that I believe has a 2.73 ratio. Would I be able to put a 3.54 gear set in this? I would like to be able to use a locked Chrysler 8.25 from my old Cherokee and this would be easier than finding a front diff out of a 4 cly SX4.

Thanks

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: gear swap
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
I recall that there is no way to get 3.54 gears, new from the aftermarket, or factory originals from another Eagle, to work with the differential case(what the ring gear is bolted to) from anything else but a 3.54 axle. The ring gear mounting surface on the differential case of any other ratio(like 2.73, 3.07, 2.35, etc) does not have the right offset to mesh the 3.54 gears correctly. The Eagle uses a D30 low pinion gear set, which is shared with the early 80's Jeep CJ D30, so there are aftermarket gears available, but I recall you need the 3.54  differential case to get the gears to set up correctly.

Its been so long since I went through the front gear swap problems that I don't recall what the final answer was on it. I know I had a 4cyl front axle shipped from Massachusetts to Texas, and when it arrived, it was so beat up that neither of the axle shafts were useable(flanges bent), and there was a bolt broken off in the top of the housing, so I think I swapped the gears, shims, and diff case into my original 2.35 housing and just replaced all the bearings, and reused my original axle shafts.

You might be able to use car-part.com to locate a 4-cyl Eagle anywhere you can, then call them up and have them send you the differential carrier and gears, along with all the shims, rather than getting the whole housing shipped.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

amc1989

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
Would 3.07 ne possible, if it doesn't already have them? Cause I can get a 3.07 Cherokee diff easy and put the locker in that. I have an 81 with permanent 4wd so from the research I've done I either have 2.73 or 3.07. Haven't had much time to work on it cause of school so I haven't had a chance to check which.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
. . . and if I could actually recall what I had done in the case of my axle regear. I got a spare axle housing from TrapperJack, and it was a non-disconnect 3.07 housing. I know I didn't use that housing, because its buried in the corner of the shop somewhere. I recall having tried to fit the 3.54 gears onto the 3.07 diff case and not having any luck getting the gears to mesh up properly. I think we(the differential shop and I ) used my 2.35 housing with the 3.54 gears and 3.54 diff case, since the housing they were shipped from Mass in was no good(messed up axle mount bolt hole). It was several years ago, and for what its worth, I should spin a tire over and count the driveshaft revolutions to check if they actually installed the ratio they said they did. It was one of the most perplexing things they'd ever come across, trying to regear an Eagle front axle. There has to be something different in there, becuase I have the original 2.35 gears from my housing, but for some strange reason, I also have a set of 3.54 gears with a beat up pinion(bad threads), and mysteriously no 3.07 gears, and I know the buried-in-the-shop 3.07 non-disco housing is empty. I wonder if they stuck the 3.07s in there, or if we managed to use new 3.54 gears from the low pinion CJ D30 application. Its all too long ago to remember. Before I get the car back under its own power(going on two years down), I'd better check it out.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
  Its all too long ago to remember. 
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=21608.0

I suffer from CRS also.  ;D Here's a thread that discuss the 3.54/3.55 ratio issue.

This was in a reply from a member in that thread. I can't say that it clarifies anything though.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

amc1989

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »
Thanks for the info. It sounds like 3.54s will fit since I have an 81. If I already have 3.07s in it I'll probably leave them and get a Cherokee rear end. If not I think I'll try the 3.54s 

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »
Good info. Guess thats why the 3.54 gears fit into my stock 2.35 housing, since its an 82, before something was changed in the housing design.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
The change was for the vacuum shift setup and the hanger changed on the housing. 2.72 was more common than 2.35
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk