News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 01:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CV axle replacement and lifespan?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
CV axle replacement and lifespan?
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
While doing an oil change on my Eagle I noticed the boot is torn on the driver side CV axle, it's still nice and greasy inside so I guess it just happened. I just replaced both CV axles in 2009, how much life are you guys getting out of these? I will be replacing the shafts but I need to buy some time, have you guys had any luck with the HELP! brand repair kits?

For replacement axles I see only one part # listed, are the axles identical?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: CV axle replacement and lifespan?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
Both are the same from what I see and have heard. I have 3 of them sitting on my garage floor. 1 reman's and 2 just removed from a parts car with good boots.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
4 years is pretty good on a daily driven car in my opinion.  I have about 6 on mine. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 01:25:09 AM »
Modern "rubber" dies quickly. Something usually hits the boot and starts a tear. Split boots are car lot cobble jobs.. If you get the regular boot, pull the axle, take the inner boot off (big end first, then snap ring so the 3 sided "tripode" comes out carefully so the needles don't fall out. Take the snap ring off the shaft end and tape the needle caps (if they aren't the kind with a clip on the end keeping them together) all the way around to keep them together.
   Once the tripode is off, take the inner boot off and tear away the old boot and clean out the outer joint. Slide the new boot down the shaft (if rusty, I use a wire wheel to take most of it off) with a little lube to slide easier.

Probably a youtube showing how to do it
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards the split boot for the time being. At the end of the summer I'm replacing everything that moves in the front end so I'll replace the shafts in their entirety and keep my current ones as spares.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk