News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:43:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grenaded rear end  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Grenaded rear end
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
Ok so I've been doing alot of reading on the rearends for Eagles and am more confused than ever.
So I'm gonna throw out a couple of questions to those who obviously have a better grip on the situation than I do.
 1. Can I put the rearend from an '83 sx4 into an '83 wagon as a direct bolt in (provided the gearing matches)
 2. Is it possible to get the parts to rebuild the exiting rearend for a shadetree mechanic ?
 3. Is there an available upgrade LS replacement that fits in the current housing?
Tools and abilities are not a problem experience and knowledge are the cause of my hesitation.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Grenaded rear end
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »
An SX4 rear end will work as a direct bolt-in. If the ratio isn't the same, you can put it in 2WD long enough to prepare a replacement axle. Most mechanics would charge about 80 to 100 dollars to rebuild a rear end if you bring it to them already removed. At that cost I never bother doing them myself. Its an extremely messy job that can get complex when you replace carriers and need shims and such.

If the rear has substantial damage inside it then its honestly not worth repairing. The stock Eagle axle is an extremely weak axle. My immediate family has broken three of them because my brother and I are apt to jumping airborne and leaning the car over on two wheels. The thin axle housing flexs easily, breaking the axle and leaving your tire to just float away and fall off. If you drive like a stereotypical Grandma the axle will last forever, but where is the fun in that?

For the cost of the internal parts you can pick up an XJ axle, buy new perches and shock mounts, and then bring it to a mechanic to quick weld in place using your old Eagle axle as a template. The whole cost should be no more than $300. It can be potentially much less if you scour C-list for a cheap axle and know a friend who can weld. The end product will be light years ahead of your existing axle.

There are clutch style limited slips available, but the factory units from a Spirit or Concord are crazy hard to find and the new units are very expensive. Most people use the lunchbox lockers. They are cheap and easy to install and quite effective, but they do give the vehicle a "kick in the pants" feeling around curves. There are other threads here on the Nest about them if you search through.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:32:06 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Grenaded rear end
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Thank you thats exactly what I was looking for and as luck would have it i just bought a welder today so getting both these rescues moving again soon should be a short term situation.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk