News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 07:09:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headlight wiring harness  (Read 7684 times)

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Headlight wiring harness
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
Is there a complete new replacement or a harness that can be swapped from a jeep that anyone knows of?
Just had all four headlights shut off, all marking lights and dash lights minus the hi low beam indicator. But now power to the headlights as always any and all help is appreciated.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Headlight wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
So the headlights turned off by themselves and then power came back to the headlights? If so it could be a faulty headlight switch. When they heat up they turn off. Replace the switch or do a headlight relay upgrade which takes the load off of the switch.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
There is a switch on the steering column just below the dash where the power to the headlights is routed through.  It ties into the high-low beam switch.   Mine was partially melted and allowed no power through it at all.  The PO had wired up a toggle switch to at least let you turn on the low beams.  I replaced the switch which I found was readily available at the auto parts store and restored the headlights to proper working order. 

I had also had another AMC whcih had a bad connection on the headlight switch on the dash.  For the Eagle you need both of these switches working properly or the headlights, marker lights and instrument cluster lights won't work properly.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
Parts are easy to come by for the harness, although I don't know of any 4-headlight jeeps. For the headlights, practically anything with four headlights could be sourced, and the connectors for the lights are the same as H4 bulbs, just with a different wiring pattern.

The other major Eagle difference is the 3-wire tail lights as opposed to the 2-light pattern AMC used up until 79 or 80. Cherokees may help you there, it's the only 3-wire Jeep I can think of. (3 wire: Stop, Turn, Park; 2 wire: Stop & Turn together, Park.)

I would set up relays for the lights myself even if I replaced the switches. I'm doing that on all my older cars. The most expensive part is the relay & socket, or if you can pick-a-part the relays, just sockets. It usually nets 2-3 volts at the socket. Additionally, the high-power low beam lights are 40w/55w instead of the old standard 35w/35w, putting more draw on your system.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
So the headlights turned off by themselves and then power came back to the headlights? If so it could be a faulty headlight switch. When they heat up they turn off. Replace the switch or do a headlight relay upgrade which takes the load off of the switch.

Before worring about the other suggestions. Replace the switch. Than make certain of the ground wires. Switch is cheap,and most likely old. The grounds possibly are weak causing undue strain on the system. So if you were to put a relay system in your not fixing the likely problem. My .02.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
I did the 100 watt universal harness upgrade on most of my vehicles. Mkaes the lights much brighter without even changing bulbs!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
I have changed the headlight switch and added heavy duty 40amp relays to where the old 35amps were. Still nothing. Its as if the power is being cut off just after the headlight switch. I don't believe it to be a ground issue cause all the lights work once I added a jumper wire for power.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »
fusible link?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
I have changed the headlight switch and added heavy duty 40amp relays to where the old 35amps were. Still nothing. Its as if the power is being cut off just after the headlight switch. I don't believe it to be a ground issue cause all the lights work once I added a jumper wire for power.
I'm a little confused with what you did... The Eagle (unfortunately) had no headlight relays from the factory.

Did you check the dimmer switch in the column too?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
There were two relays next to the battery that I replaced with the 40amp from the 30amp. I have checked the dimmer switch and it seems to be working fine. Still no luck finding the actual problem though.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
Next to the battery I believe are relays for the computer, maybe fog lights if you have them. The headlight harness comes down the driver's side from the firewall connector down the inner fender and across the front of the car in a cavity in the inner grille area.

The rear lights also go down the driver's side, but I'm not 100% sure if it's near the sill without looking it up. They appear by the rear opera window in the trunk of a sedan, or continue in the panel to the back driver's side light in a wagon. Then they run across to the passenger side light. In that bundle is an accessory power wire, maybe a hatch release wire, and the fuel sender wire too.

I'd start by pulling the lights and checking all the contacts for voltages, to see if anything is amiss. I would suspect a short either in a bulb or the wiring. It sure sounds like something is shorting out as the headlights, the dash lights, and the marker lights constitute three separate circuits with a fuse for each the dash lights and the markers, and a fusible link and the breaker in the switch for the headlights.

Make sure that the wires around your battery and solenoid are good, as all the power for the car originates at the battery post on the solenoid. Pull them off and clean them, then make sure they are attached well and not fatigued or rubbed through anywhere.
NSS#47184

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk