News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 09:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inconsistent Idle  (Read 6249 times)

Prafeston

Inconsistent Idle
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
Not sure if this is the right section. There are so many sections on this site...wasn't sure where to put it.

1983 Eagle Wagon
Stock Everything
Automatic w/ 35k miles

Just bought this car on the 12th. It's been running just fine ever since I picked it up, but then this weekend I went to a Cardinals game in STL which is about 100 miles away. Ran fine the whole way there, but as soon as I get off the interstate it was running a little rough at idle when I was at the stop light and then when I pulled into a parking lot and I'm paying the guy there to park it's really jerking and on the verge of dying. I pull it around to park it and as I'm pulling into a space it dies.

Started it right back up just to make sure it was going to fire back up and then parked it. After the game it was still running a bit rough at idle, but didn't seem as bad. I then drove it to a car show and cruise and it was doing just fine the rest of the night riding up and down main street in >5 mph bumper to bumper traffic.

Then again this morning it was running rough at idle and seemed like it was about to die when I am at a stop. Seems to run fine when it's moving though.

I'm not real worried about it, but would like to get this issue resolved. I doubt the previous owners drove it all that much seeing as it only had 34k miles when I bought it. Could it just need a cleaning of the carbs?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:51:07 PM by Prafeston »

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Inconsistent Idle
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
Carbs a good place to start, it's likely its never been rebuilt, even though  low miles, it's probably over due.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »
Fuel filter and maybe check the gas tank cap. Sometimes the gas caps make a difference.

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
I did put gas in it twice this weekend. I'll check the gas cap first. That would be quite an easy fix. If that doesn't help I guess I'll be looking to the carbs.

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »
Thanks for the link PeterM

Tried removing and reinstalling the gas cap. No change. Will check the air air filter tomorrow.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:31:59 AM »
Air filter is probably your best bet.

We've all had this problem multiple times. If you fill up enough times, random crap gets in the tank and plugs the fuel filter. If your engine keeps dying after you fill up, the gas cap might not be ventilating. I've had that problem several times.

If you get random dying(and sometimes random restart if you just ignore it and keep your foot on the gas) it's more than likely related to air quality. After a new air filter my Eagle stopped dying on the freeway. If you drive in humid zones behind giant trucks that like to splash water straight into your radiator that can suddenly kill the engine too.

The only times my Eagle ever jerked itself into dying was when my valve tube was shot. If it jerks in reverse, your reverse gear may be going out like mine did. If it jerks when you pull it into a forward gear, you've got bigger problems. If it stalls when you're at a stop sign, either your idle speed is way too low like mine or your carb needs inspection/rebuild. I know it sounds stupid and really it is but check your fluid levels before you tear anything apart. This is the last kind of car that needs to send you on a wild goose chase.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
I got a video of the car idling tonight. Didn't have much time after work to really look into it. Anyway, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwubLy5r65I

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »
Now that sound is weird.
I've heard the exhaust system do that, but never the intake. I was going to say there might be something loose inside the intake manifold.
Is the car running any better now that the noise disappear or did the noise came back?
The34 duct tape tube is the fresh air duct on this old engine its not that much of a big deal if its on or not but most states do require it to pass inspection along with the preheat tube.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

rohnk

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »
Could that be a loose choke plate or something? I wonder if the sound goes away after everything warms up.

Prafeston

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
The noise never came back, but the idling didn't improve either. It was getting dark and I was just wasting gas so I turned her off pretty soon after the video was shot.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:25:18 PM by Prafeston »

Prafeston

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
I wonder if the sound goes away after everything warms up.

Was wondering this as well as I took my motorcycle to work and had only just driven the car around the block before I filmed this...it did almost die everytime I came to a stop sign too. I was surprised it stayed idling while I had it parked here for the video.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:25:35 PM by Prafeston »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »
Believe I would check the pvc valve and the rubber hose running to it! Have seen this valve stick or the rubber hose crack causing the rough idle problem. The pcv valve is mounted on top of the valve cover.I clean mine with b12 chemtool which can be bought at any auto parts store. Then dump the remainder into your gas tank and it will help to clean your fuel system.Have used this product for many many years and will continue to do so and feel its the very best out there! Try it you will like it! As for the noise it sounds like a water pump bearing.While you are at the auto parts store buying beerymans b12 chemtool also buy a can of water pump lubricant and pour this into your cooling system.I believe this will solve the noise problem you are hearing.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »
Well I took a look at the pcv valve and the rubber hose going to it and it doesn't appear to be cracked or anything. I did notice the coolant was below the fill line...would this have something to do with it staling out?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:14:35 PM by Prafeston »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
No, low coolant will not cause the rough idle problem,But you need to top it off or it could cause a overheating problem and you sure don't want that! Can cause a whole host of other problems. Getting back to the pcv valve you said the rubber hose looks ok but did you pull the pcv valve out and check it? If not its very simple just pull the hose off and then pull it out of the rubber groument and shake it. It should rattle freely.If it doesen't rattle it needs cleaned.How I do mine is I put my middle finger over one end and then fill it with chemtool B12. Then use my thumb and put over the other hole and shake it for around thirty seconds.If its really gummy you may have to do this a couple of times.Then just reinstall it.May not be your problem but then again it could be.Never hurts to clean it anyway.If this does not solve your problem it could be a whole host of other things. Vac leak,water in tank,bad plugs or plug wires and the list goes on and on.But hang in there someone on here will figure it out. Sometimes it becomes a process of elimination.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
Took that valve thing off and it wasn't stuck. Was rattling like it was supposed to. I cleaned it with some Marvel's Mystery Oil I had sitting around and that didn't do the trick. It's really starting to seem like something carb related. The air filter just didn't seem as dirty as I was expecting...though it too could maybe due to be replaced.

I just don't know why it ran fine for about 2 weeks before this started happening. The Valve cover is leaking. I can smell and see the oil burning from the engine block/exhaust when I pop the hood after driving it around the block.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk