News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 10:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing grease nipples on rear axle for easy greasing rear wheel bearings  (Read 3182 times)

A-A EAGLE

A while ago I saw a topic on the Nest from somebody who was asking if the grease nipples on the rear axle of his Eagle were standard factory fittings or not.

Yesterday I decided to inspect and grease the rear wheel bearings. I welded a puller to extract the hub from the axle shaft but this did not work, the puller was to weak. At that moment I decided to take the whole assembly off. At the end I installed grease nipples on the rear axle for easy greasing the rear wheel bearings.

This is how I did it.

Remove the wheel, brake drum, brakeshoes an brake line. Undo the four bolts that holds the backingplate.

As the bearing slides into the axle (tight fit) you have to tap the whole assembly out. I made a piece of steel 1 ft or so, which hooks on the back of the hub and welded a plate on it on the other side so I could gently tap the whole assembly (out) off the axle without ruining the hub.

What you will see then is that there is space between the inner oil seal and the bearing. That is where you can drill a hole in the axle housing and put a grease nipple in. Be care full not to drill into the oil seal (which I did off course). Take the metal pieces out as the will ruin your bearings (this is why you have to take the whole assembly off, otherwise you cannot clean the axle from metal pieces).

Grease the bearing as far as you can, be careful that there is no dirt falling from the backingplate into the freshly smeared bearing..... Then install the four bolts and tighten them evenly (turn by turn crosswise) to press the bearing nicely into the axle. Further installation is the same as removal. Take the air out of the brakelines!

It takes a bit more than an our or so to fix each side depending on how handy you are wich installing the brakes (always a struggle Remove the wheel, brake drum, brakeshoes an brake line. Undo the four bolts that hold the backingplate.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Mooi werk, Anjo!
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
EGGcellent write up Anjo.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk