News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Indication that your Pinion Seal Might be Toast..  (Read 9701 times)

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
An Indication that your Pinion Seal Might be Toast..
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »

Okay that was a little sarcastic but I do have a problem here.
I expected the outer bearing to pop out with some minor coaxing, however it is well stuck and all of the exploded views that I've looked at show that it should pop out. Also there is an indication that several rollers from the bearing have disintegrated.

Could someone share any helpful ideas before I pull the carrier and smack it out from behind.. It looks like I shouldn't need to do this.  Thanks !!
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: An Indication that your Pinion Seal Might be Toast..
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
I was able to cut one out with a die grinder and small grinding bits after trying and failing with a slide hammer.
Seal should pop out and inner bearing slide off shaft. If it will not you may have to tear it apart.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
Hey, thanks for reply. Seal isn't the issue, it's the bearing that I expected to 'slide off the shaft' which is stuck and ain't budging. But thanks I just needed to confirm that it 'should' pop out.

I might ad some heat to the equation. :)
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Stuck Pinion Bearing ... Voodoo Required !!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »
I'm out of ideas here. I've got a completely seized pinion bearing that will not budge. I've tried a filed nail head, vise grip, hammer trick but I'm totally lost now. Can you folks share your most frustrating, yet successful pinion bearing extraction stories?! I've not got a dial indicator and I'm really not looking forward to setting up the R+P if I have to pop the bearing from behind... Thank you!!

1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:37:48 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but is there a snap ring on the shaft that keeps the seal from sliding out? The only thing I could think of would be to try and drill into the race and screw into it, one on each side. That gives you something to "bite" on  and put a puller on it. I saw that on one of the Sunday car shows on Horsepower TV a couple of years ago. I think they were doing an axle bearing but same concept I guess.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:30:09 AM »
OUCH!!  :'(
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »
Try weaving several lengths of mechanics wire around the roller bearings and back out, use as many of them as you can and tie it strong, then put a prybar or breaker bar through where you tied all the ends together and twist it...
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
Hey.. No snap ring. Just complete seizure.. Actually I've looked for a couple days and haven't found a very clear exploded view of the D35. I'm also looking to confirm axle removal as I'm doomed to replace everything.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

weaved some wire through, suspended by weight of the entire rear end and still no movement. Intermixed with smashing of various drifting 'medium' hehe... she's stuck proper!!
Really not looking forward to resetting the rear (only ever done one in mech school way back when)....  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:04 AM »
you could try heating the diff casing in the bearing area, on the outside, with a small mapp gas or propane torch to see if that will loosen it. Always works for stuck suspension components when an air hammer/4lb sledge isn't enough.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
Did you remove the fatastic 4 bolts on the other side of the brake pad holder thing.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:04 AM »
Along with heating the outside, I've used cans of compressed air, upside-down, to apply a nice frost to the wedged in part. Usually in a Heat >> Penetrating Oil >> Freeze  cycle. Between the oil and the mechanical act of heating and cooling I've gotten some pretty stuck  parts free.

The other thing I've done is carefully work on the sacrificial part with a Dremel bit or a small drill bit. Sometimes you can relieve enough stress to allow the stuck part to flex.

The worst one was getting a halfshaft off of a parts car to return as a core so I could take my Eagle down to get the halfshaft. It was much easier though, since both the nut and the shaft were sacrificial and I could ruin the thread with the drill. Two runs with a wire bit down between the nut and bolt and it came off easy! I definitely didn't have a nut cracker that big.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
It somehow reminds me of my adventures with the broken rear shaft and the "rounded bolt" front hub... ;)

From personal experience, I can say that along with heating - beating - cooling - oiling, a good amount of swearing helps, too.
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 02:10:13 PM »
I guess with looking at it again.My McGyver skills set in and - I would notch that inner race enough to get the rollers out and the just deal with the inner and outer race of the bearing seperatly.You should be able to cut them through and pop them out.Any nicks on the inner surface of the boss shouldn't be a big issue as the seal will keep the fluid in and it runs through the bearing anyways.Just make sure it is smooth enough to accept the new bearing with no issues........just thinking back on how I got the axle bearing out of the 52 Molines I did last summer , and only my opinion.The axle itself was probably bigger in diameter than that bearing itself.On the other side I had to have a 40 ton press "pop" out the axle from the houseing.That made quite the "POP" !!

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
Did you remove the fatastic 4 bolts on the other side of the brake pad holder thing.

Heh, I did (one side) but then decided I should keep trying to pop the bearing. Setting up the Diff again will be a drag.

you could try heating the diff casing in the bearing area, on the outside, with a small mapp gas or propane torch to see if that will loosen it. Always works for stuck suspension components when an air hammer/4lb sledge isn't enough.

Yep, had the propane going. Set wire loops around bearings to Bar supported by Jacks holding rear end in the air. Nothing. No budge. Not a single MM of movement. Heated to smoking gear oil and drifting heavy ball peen onto cedar 2x6.. nada.

Along with heating the outside, I've used cans of compressed air, upside-down, to apply a nice frost to the wedged in part. Usually in a Heat >> Penetrating Oil >> Freeze  cycle. Between the oil and the mechanical act of heating and cooling I've gotten some pretty stuck  parts free.

The other thing I've done is carefully work on the sacrificial part with a Dremel bit or a small drill bit. Sometimes you can relieve enough stress to allow the stuck part to flex.

The worst one was getting a halfshaft off of a parts car to return as a core so I could take my Eagle down to get the halfshaft. It was much easier though, since both the nut and the shaft were sacrificial and I could ruin the thread with the drill. Two runs with a wire bit down between the nut and bolt and it came off easy! I definitely didn't have a nut cracker that big.

I like the upside down compressed air trick. Also like the word 'Sacrificial'.. haha.. I suspect this will be the route with some overpriced drill bits and a dreml...

Cheers for the help!
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 03:35:14 PM »
@68AMXGOPAC - hah, nice.. I like this route as well.. "Sacrificial Bearing"
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk