News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rough Starting  (Read 2261 times)

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Alaskan Girl - 82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport Fan
Rough Starting
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:47:30 PM »
Hi again,
I'm looking to remedy my eagles starting issue.
She starts but not easily. When I turn the key, she'll crank/turn over but really slow like the battery is dead, then I let off and try again and it will crank/turn over fast and start most the time. Or she will be slow a couple times and then start.

If I didn't know the battery was good (brand new) I would think it was dead or on its way. But that's what it sounds like, super slow crank / turn over and the longer I hold it the slower it gets. Then I stop and try again, and either it will repeat this, or turn over fast and start up.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Rough Starting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »
It could be the starter or connections to the starter. Start at the battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight . Clean the connections at the starter solenoid and at the starter. Make sure you have a good ground from the starter to the engine block. You may need to remove the starter and sand paper the mounting areas. While you have the starter out, check the bushing in the nose piece . If that bushing is worn the starter will drag ( crank slow ).
If you have an amp meter your starter should draw less than 200 amps . Any thing over that it's toast. As a quick check you can crank the starter for a little while and then feel if the cables ,solenoid, or starter are hot . Any thing hot is high resistance , start there .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Alaskan Girl - 82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the very descriptive post. I will check it out and let you know what I find.
:)
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
Just to add to the info already posted. To me after all connections are cleaned if this continues the solenoid is maybe internally corroded.

Manitowoc WI

Offline bradd04

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:48:06 AM »
 I experienced the same thing, and the solenoid was the culprit.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
Might check your timing also, make sure its not too far advanced.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk