News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starter stuck on.  (Read 2915 times)

Offline everett1992

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Starter stuck on.
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
Hello, first time posing on the forums.»                                       

I have a 80 wagon that needs some work, I live in a city so I've left it at a
friends place. I went out to work on the car for the first time in a few months
but this time I wasn't able to get the car to start.                           

When I turned the key the starter motor cranked but the engine didn't start. I
stopped turning the key, but the starter kept running, even after I pulled the
key out. I tried starting the car again, giving a bit more gas. The engine 
started this time, but I could hear that the starter was still running. I   
pulled the key out, but the engine  didn't stop till I disconnected the     
battery.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Starter stuck on.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
hi, either your starter solenoid, the thing the battery + cable connects to, or the starter itself is bad. Change the solenoid out first, it's not very expensive. and basically a 5 minute job. Next, check, and clean, EVERY electrical connection you see or find. You are dealing with a 30+ year old car. How old are you? and how much do you know about cars? Not trying to pry, but it would help us to help you if we knew, what you are, and are not , familiar with. Eagles are fairly complex machines, and they are very rewarding IF you know your way around them. Don't give up, we are here to help. god luck, gz

Offline everett1992

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:05:02 AM »
No problem, I'm 25, and this is the first the first time I'm working on a car, but I'm working with a friend who has repaired a lot of cars. None as old as this one.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:22:27 AM »
Sounds like the solenoid or the ignition switch is bad. Where are you located everette?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk