News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 01:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New guy with 1988 Eagle Wagon  (Read 2868 times)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
New guy with 1988 Eagle Wagon
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:00:42 PM »
I've been lurking here for a couple months, but thought it was time to break the silence and introduce myself and show off my new project.  I recently bought a 1988 Eagle Wagon on FleaBay, based on just a few fuzzy pictures!  My wife wasn't too excited, but she has learned to just shake her head and laugh at my crazy projects.  Thank goodness!

Here are a couple shots right after I got it to my place in Florida.

It starts and runs, but needs some maintenance.  The radiator looked like it had just come up from the bottom of the ocean.  Can't believe it held pressure.

Really needs some deep cleaning inside, but most of it is in great shape.  Only the driver's seat has a few tears, and of course the headliner is sagging.

I'm looking forward to this project, and will likely start a separate thread about my progress.  I've already been reading up all over the forum, and really appreciate all the info that's been shared.  Good to be here!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: New guy with 1988 Eagle Wagon
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
welcome, and nice eagle! you already have the aluminum valve cover, came stock in 88, last year for AMC. Looks like you may need a new radiator soon though. good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:26:02 PM »
Welcome to the den

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »
Welcome!  Good looking Eagle!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
If you decide to replace that radiator you can use an aluminum radiator from a CJ-7. Please see this link:http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42945.0;topicseen for detailed information :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
Welcome to the cult! Here have some coolaid! :)
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, everybody.  I've been working on the eagle the past few weeks, already making some progress (and a big mess in the garage).  I've been through the cooling system, and that old radiator was so bad the cooling fins turned to dust when I touched them.  I can't believe it was holding pressure.   Eaglebeek, thanks for the tip about the CJ7 radiator.  I had found that info, but in the end decided I wanted a true bolt-in option, though it was about double the cost.

I loaded up on parts from my new favorite website, RockAuto.  It's crazy how low the prices are on some of that stuff.  I've done belts, radiator hoses, a heater hose, and my heater control valve was frozen solid.  I did figure out the option to use the plastic Cherokee valve.  Been through the ignition too, new dizzy cap, rotor, and plugs.  Got a lot more to do though, including suspension bushings, etc, etc.

I'm just trying to resist getting too deep into a restoration.  My Eagle is plenty nice for what I've got planned - an overlanding rig for longer trips across the country.  It's solid underneath and has good bones, so I need to stay focused on getting it reliable first, not pretty.

I have been taking lots of pictures, so I'll start a new thread to show the build soon.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk