News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: frustrated at Carter bbd brand new carb  (Read 3579 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
frustrated at Carter bbd brand new carb
« on: October 23, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
I am so frustrated and at a loss on why my carb is over loading at stay up. If that choke is on a lil bit it over loads when cold. Float has been set to spec. I even lowered a tiny bit. Once that choke opens its fine. This bbd is sucky. The only thing that I can think of is the needle seat. I've had experience with these carbs since 2009. What am I going to do? Everything is in place even the little ball and big ball in the correct places.i can't lean it enough
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: frustrated at Carter bbd brand new carb
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
I've OH'ed at least 200 BBD's over the years (probably more; but memory fades with age!); a lot of them fresh-from-the-box store-bought rebuilts.   I've yet to see a store-bought rebuilt that was done right.

To start with; be sure the metering rod and accelerator pump height adjustments are dead-nuts on the mark.   Also need to be sure all of the choke adjustments (including the pull-off - be sure it opens up the choke to spec) are also good.   Also drill out the bottom of the air bleed tubes to 0.030 per the AMC service bulletin (rebuilders never do that; and that's a big BBD issue with running rich).   Then adjust everything per the IS-12e service letter (I can send you a scan if you get me your email addy).

Good luck with it.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
I've OH'ed at least 200 BBD's over the years (probably more; but memory fades with age!); a lot of them fresh-from-the-box store-bought rebuilts.   I've yet to see a store-bought rebuilt that was done right.

To start with; be sure the metering rod and accelerator pump height adjustments are dead-nuts on the mark.   Also need to be sure all of the choke adjustments (including the pull-off - be sure it opens up the choke to spec) are also good.   Also drill out the bottom of the air bleed tubes to 0.030 per the AMC service bulletin (rebuilders never do that; and that's a big BBD issue with running rich).   Then adjust everything per the IS-12e service letter (I can send you a scan if you get me your email addy).

Good luck with it.
NICE! I'll have to drill those out with the 5/16 bit.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
NOT 5/16"!!!!! Maybe 5/32 but I know it's not huge.

Is this a stepper motor carb? Do you have a 3 line filter? (if not, you may have too much fuel pressure like mine did)

I bought the Carter AFB overhaul and metering rod kit with Offroad needle and seat, but didn't get around to seeing if it would fit the BBD too (the AFB 4 bbl is for my 304 or 290 with SP2P intake is buried in my pile of parts and I've been cleaning out all the excess but still have nearly a semi-trailer full to deal with)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
The idle tubes should be drilled to .032".  Should be a #67 bit.

Here is a video that shows the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgQRggcC824
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:29:01 AM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk