News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 03:03:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New 82 Eagle Owner in Chicago Two Door Lift Back  (Read 11573 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: New 82 Eagle Owner in Chicago Two Door Lift Back
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
All of this body style are SX/4's.... same body as the Spirit & Spirit AMX but 4x4. The SX/4's usually only had a vinyl decal on the sides to actually label them as an SX/4, but most have worn off over the years. It's an SX/4 whether it has a sports package or not. There's the base model, DL model and the Sport model in the SX/4 line.
The Sport model SX/4 is signified by a Sport badge on each side just below the Eagle emblems on the fenders, sport steering wheel, all black trim & usually have other things like spoiler, center console, etc... but these were also options for any model too.
DL model has the woodgrain on the interior dash, a passenger side mirror, etc.
Base model has no interior woodgrain, passenger side mirror, etc.
Either way, the only difference in between all the models was aesthetic only.

The Egalpedia calls out a lift back. I just figured it was a base model of the SX/4
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »
All of this body style are SX/4's.... same body as the Spirit & Spirit AMX but 4x4. The SX/4's usually only had a vinyl decal on the sides to actually label them as an SX/4, but most have worn off over the years. It's an SX/4 whether it has a sports package or not. There's the base model, DL model and the Sport model in the SX/4 line.
The Sport model SX/4 is signified by a Sport badge on each side just below the Eagle emblems on the fenders, sport steering wheel, all black trim & usually have other things like spoiler, center console, etc... but these were also options for any model too.
DL model has the woodgrain on the interior dash, a passenger side mirror, etc.
Base model has no interior woodgrain, passenger side mirror, etc.
Either way, the only difference in between all the models was aesthetic only.

The Egalpedia calls out a lift back. I just figured it was a base model of the SX/4

Liftback is just a style; just like coupe, sedan, wagon, etc.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
I'm also in Chicago, Logan Square area. Just finished my Eagle last week. Well its never finished really.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 12:17:45 AM »
hi,congratulations on your Eagle. nice car, same color as my sedan. The only thing that concerns me is that you said front wheel hubs got so hot they were smoking! You most certainly cannot drive the car any distance in that condition,and, unfortunately, as someone already said, replacing front wheel bearings on ANY Eagle is not a simple matter, and no, they cannot just be repacked. You may want to consider trailering the car home, where you can take you time and replace them. It is not something you can do with only hand tools in the driveway. It is also not cheap! Each wheel takes TWO bearings (Timken Set 26,or equivalent) TWO different seals, and a fairly hard to find O-ring.  Bearings are about $30. each, seals about another $25, and the O-ring maybe $10 or so. So parts alone are close to $100. for EACH wheel. Then, the hub assembly has to be pressed together, after of course being completely taken apart, which is no small job in itself. This is not meant to discourage you, just a heads up as to what is involved. Now, at only 50k miles, your bearings should be fine! They are designed to go well over 100k, and are actually overbuilt for the application, The only reason I can think of for such an early failure is the front end being submerged for a length of time! Be sure it's the bearings before you get into the process. What may be happening is your calipers are seized from sitting too long, creating the heat and the smoke. This is a much easier and cheaper fix. Change front brake lines, the rubber flexible ones while you're at it. After 35 years or so, they tend to deteriorate from the INSIDE, and those little chunks of rubber clog up the calipers and "seize" them up. Calipers and lines are available almost anywhere, ie Rock Auto. good luck, gz

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
I'm also in Chicago, Logan Square area. Just finished my Eagle last week. Well its never finished really.

Cool we will have to get together sometime. I'm in Rogers Park but moving to Cicero this weekend.

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
hi,congratulations on your Eagle. nice car, same color as my sedan. The only thing that concerns me is that you said front wheel hubs got so hot they were smoking! You most certainly cannot drive the car any distance in that condition,and, unfortunately, as someone already said, replacing front wheel bearings on ANY Eagle is not a simple matter, and no, they cannot just be repacked. You may want to consider trailering the car home, where you can take you time and replace them. It is not something you can do with only hand tools in the driveway. It is also not cheap! Each wheel takes TWO bearings (Timken Set 26,or equivalent) TWO different seals, and a fairly hard to find O-ring.  Bearings are about $30. each, seals about another $25, and the O-ring maybe $10 or so. So parts alone are close to $100. for EACH wheel. Then, the hub assembly has to be pressed together, after of course being completely taken apart, which is no small job in itself. This is not meant to discourage you, just a heads up as to what is involved. Now, at only 50k miles, your bearings should be fine! They are designed to go well over 100k, and are actually overbuilt for the application, The only reason I can think of for such an early failure is the front end being submerged for a length of time! Be sure it's the bearings before you get into the process. What may be happening is your calipers are seized from sitting too long, creating the heat and the smoke. This is a much easier and cheaper fix. Change front brake lines, the rubber flexible ones while you're at it. After 35 years or so, they tend to deteriorate from the INSIDE, and those little chunks of rubber clog up the calipers and "seize" them up. Calipers and lines are available almost anywhere, ie Rock Auto. good luck, gz

Wow that's great info.  So the Eagle is a 500 mile round trip.  I don't know anyone that has a truck that can tow it.  Renting anything would just be too much money. I'd rather put the money into the Eagle.  My friend I'm buying it from recommended a guy near him.  I called him today and told him the issue. I'll see what what has to say.  I hope it's just the brakes like you said..

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »
Good call.  It was the brakes.  So he's recommending new rotors and is going to take apart the calipers and lube everything up.  I also told him to put in a new water pump and thermostat and new brake fluid.

He says the tire are dry rot.  I hope they have another 260 miles in them to get me home. I don't want buy a set of tires just to get him home and then buy a bigger set of tires after I put a lift on her.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 12:36:19 AM »
hi, glad to hear the problem was the brakes and not the bearings. A brake job is MUCH cheaper and easier, and having new rotors/calipers, AND front brake lines will give you piece of mind on the road. Brakes are no place to try to save money, your life depends on them! As for dry rotted tires, be careful. Around town at low speeds it's no big deal if one blows, but having one go out at Interstate speeds in heavy traffic is no joke, happened to me once years ago, tire blew, stopped, changed to spare, also old, it blew about an hour later, then I was really stranded. Also damaged the car some, luckily no one was hurt., and it's August and hot, heat, high speeds and old dry rotted tires don't get along. Get the factory "upgrade" tires 215/65-15, and call it good. Concentrate on getting your Eagle in top shape before trying any kind of lift. Again, lifting an Eagle is MUCH harder than say, a Jeep, and not really necessary. Most "lifted" Eagles are not done well, and their driveability suffers. You need to do a LOT of research before attempting this. Oversize tires also need some fender cutting, so, again, walk before you run. Remember, you have an Eagle, NOT a Jeep! An Eagle is a car, and it's already lifted for you!, by the factory. For the "look", just pull off all the plastic fender flares, and don't tell anyone it's stock, people will think you lifted it. good luck, gz

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 04:27:05 AM »
You make some good points.  I'll look into tires.

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
Will a 215/75/15 fit or a 205/75/15 be okay?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »
215/75 might rub slightly and require some trimming of the inner fender. 205/75's should fit without any issues.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:48:19 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
stock sizes were 195/75/15. and 215/65 15. the 205 should be ok, 215 should work, but be more aware of fit at fron t.

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
My SX4 made it home without any issues. Here is how it went down. 

Picked it up from the mechanic on Saturday afternoon.  High tailed over to Wally World for new tires and oil change.  I just picked the El Cheapos. They didn't have anything I liked in stock.  Went to lunch with my buddy.  When I got back, the tires had not been installed.  The manager told me my lugs nuts were stripped and they were  afraid to try and remove them because they didn't have the tools to fix it if something broke.

I found this strange because you would think the mechanic would have said something because he had the wheels off. I would have paid for new lug nuts.  Very strange.  I looked at the lug nuts and indeed they were all screwed up.  Still scratching my head as to why he didn't put new lug nuts on her.

Well, there wasn't much I could do or had time to do I was leaving in the morning.  I had to make those old tires work.  And they did. I made the 250 mile trip fine.  No issues.

I tried to shift her into 2x4 manually but no go on that. The lever would not move. So we made the entire trip in 4x4 and she ran like a top. I was very impressed.  Not a lot of get up and go but got her up to 75 a couple times.  But kept it at 65 most of the way.  I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong. I followed the Eaglepedia.  I have an automatic so I was wondering if it mattered. I tried with the tranny in park and in neutral, running and not running.  I tried moving it both ways.  No go.  I'm thinking it's froze. But I don;t know why it would be.

Also noted, she didn't burn any oil or leak any fluids.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:46:50 PM by Beaverseagle »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:47 PM »
Do you know if it's a NP129, NP119 or something else swapped in?

There should be a round tag on it that tells you near the rear driveshaft.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:42:28 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »
No everything looks pretty stock. The transfer-case shift motor froze up.  I had to disconnect it from the lever and she went into 2 wheel drive no problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk