News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 05:43:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upgraded alternator install  (Read 2719 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Upgraded alternator install
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »
I finally caught a break in the weather today and had some time to install a new 140 amp alternator.  The installation was very straightforward and went quickly.  The only issue I had was with the upsized battery charging wire from the alternator.  When I first wired it, I took the original charging wire that ran from the alternator to the solenoid out of the circuit completely.  However, nothing would happen when I tried to start the car, I figure there must be other wires spliced into, but that was all hidden beneath tape on the wiring loom.  So I put the original wire back into place, and ran the new 4 gauge wire from the alternator charging post, to where the battery cable attaches to the positive battery post.  Everything worked fine after that.  There is a NOTICEABLE difference in the headlights, heater fan, etc at idle with the new alternator in place.  Here is a link to the alternator on eBay, along with a couple pictures.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Black-GM-Chevy-140-amp-1-or-3-wire-alternator-Rat-Rod-Race-Car-Street-Custom-/231493038296?vxp=mtr

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Upgraded alternator install
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
Dave, I could be wrong, but I have a feeling you may have bumped the wire that comes from the key and goes to the S terminal to the solenoid which caused your no start issue and then when you reinstalled the old charge wire, you may have bumped it again causing it to work again. I had an intermittent no start issue I was trying to track down a couple years ago and it was a bad connection at the S terminal.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:07 PM »
May have, sounds like something I would do lol. Everything seems to be working good now.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
I was wrong. There are 3 wires that are spliced into the charge wire that comes off the alternator. I was working on my Eagle to day and realized that I cut off the wire that connects to the alternator at the splice. You keep one side of the wire that connects to the solenoid and that will supply power to those 3 wires. Keeping it attached to the alternator won't cause any issues, though.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk