News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1984 Eagle wagon  (Read 36945 times)

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• "Joy"/8.25 3.55 future 4.0/ax15/np242
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: 1984 Eagle wagon
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
I was out this morning didn't realize it was -10 F. Felt cold but not that cold!!
Im still looking at possible  rear crossmember mods to make the Ax15 work.
It seams like the rear most bolt holes are over the rear most part of the stock crossmember.
This is making me think I could use rubber bushing/isolation mount. I really need to get pictures going so I can show what I'm talking about.  More shortly
"Whether you think you can or  think you can't ....
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »
I would like to see your idea as well. My first attempt to make my own trans mount failed.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
I put one in an FSJ and just moved the crossmember back but that's different. Napa has One listed for the Wranglers only  BK 6201198 (searched for the pic on napaonline.com ) I think that's what I used for simplicity.

When I bolted my NP208 to the AX-15 or AW4 I used a 1" thick (almost) clocking ring. It would also work for AW4 to Eagle tcase, BUT everything will be 4" further back than stock. (that was why I considered using all XJ stuff with ZJ/YJ/TJ waterpump and cooling fan and moving the motor forward a bit in my Jeep. Not that easy in Eagles)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:32:01 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 11:55:17 PM »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »
Wow carnuck. Nice eagle. It looks like mine. What a min....just kidding. Thanks I must have not done a final step. I need to look into what I didn't do.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 06:44:11 AM »
So I was out again this morning and pulled the ax15. I took some pictures and will discribe my thoughts on the rear crossmember mod ideas but I'm wanting to move forward. I think I need shift gears and go ahead with the 727/229 to get up and running than go back for the manual swap. :( it's not the route I want to take but  it would be the fastest and cheapest even if I have to get another rear axle. Ugh. At least it's a bolt up.
Maybe I need to find another eagle to do the swap on so I would have the time. I really need to get up and running.

So after pulling the ax15 i started in on finding the right position for the torque converter to bolt up. I had to stop because my hands weren't working well in the 10 degree weather.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
You used the wrong code is all. :) You need [ img ] in front of the url and [ /img ] behind (without the extra spaces I used to make it visible) You could use the bottom link on PB but it tends to mess with the html code of some sites because it's trying to do popups. If you quote my post it will show you what I did. The resizing numbers are done automatically on this site.

As for the converter, I think you mean you have an AW4 automatic and not an AX-15 std trans. (you have to run the AW4 flexplate and starter if it is)
AX-15 has a flywheel and clutch. Not a converter.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:43:02 AM by carnuck »

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
Thank you, I'll try again, I have a number if pictures I would like to post and well as to show my progression.

Sorry for the confusition on the transmissions I have two

An ax15 and a TF727

I have three transfer cases. A np229, a NP231, and a Np242

I would really like to run the ax15 and NP242 but I may have to put in the TF 727 and NP229 just because its faster and would take less modifications. I keep going back and forth.

I would also like to put in the 4.0 that I have. Time wize I keep going back to keeping the 4.2 (for now)
TF727 and NP229.

your right"
Henry Ford

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
Pictures can be added without using photobucket as a host. Look underneath your posting box click attachments and other options. Browse your computer or mobil device for whatever picture you want. And it is uploaded here. Keeps a third party out of the loop so it is easier.

here is the end result. I only had 4 pics on this device to choose from .
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:56:56 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »
Thank you, I'll try again, I have a number if pictures I would like to post and well as to show my progression.

Sorry for the confusition on the transmissions I have two

An ax15 and a TF727

I have three transfer cases. A np229, a NP231, and a Np242

I would really like to run the ax15 and NP242 but I may have to put in the TF 727 and NP229 just because its faster and would take less modifications. I keep going back and forth.

I would also like to put in the 4.0 that I have. Time wize I keep going back to keeping the 4.2 (for now)
TF727 and NP229.

What were you talking about lining up the converter then?
If all 3 of your cases are NP and none are NV then the 229 is 23 spline and the other 2 are 21 spline. AX-15 is 23 spline output. AX-5 is 21 spline but fits the 2.5 and 2.8, not 4.0 or 4.2.

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
Hi again, I appreciate your time and help. Ill double check the transfer cases I may have been improper with the designations. The 231 came with the ax15 I bought and the 242 came out of an 95 Cherokee.
Ill verify

I may have also miss spoken  when I said converter. I meant torque converter for the TF727. I made a paper template of the holes to I could mark a new torque converters proper location on the flex plate . If I go that way.

As for the rear cross member modifications for the ax15 I'm really looking forward to showing my ideas so that I could get some feed back from those more experienced than me.

Basically what I was thinking is  that two of the transmission mount holes on the ax15 lines up right In the middle of the  crossmember. So my thought was trying to fit some isolation pads or better yet the mount you shared thru the top of the crossmember (removing material) so that they bolt to the bottom plate .

Ill sent pictures

Thanks again
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
Ok Trying to post photos
My frozen (all be it dry And not windy) work space and Joy's home

your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
Thanks carnuck!! For helping getting pic posted. So for the rearcross member modification for the ax15

Here's the stock crossmember for the eagle. (Nevermind the front crossmember)

Now for the ax15 in a jeep

Ok now for the ax15 in my eagle

Ok here we go. Notice in the jeep picture the four bolt that hold the (offset) transmission mount plate.

Two of them are directly over the eagle rear crossmember.

This is the view of the 4 bolts from underneath. The four bolts that hold the transmission mount/plate

Here are the rear most bolt (ax15) transmission mount holes lining up with the middle of the eagle rear crossmber.

So here's my thought.

The vertical clearances are tight so if the mating surface between the transmission and the crossmber were machined to allow a transmission mount or bushing be fitted in the crossmember  to mount the transmission to the lower (inside) surface of the crossmember.

Not sure how clear that was but feel free to ask questions, comment, critique or Criticize.
I would be happy to hear any and all thoughts.

your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »
These are the kind of isolation  pads I was thinking.
They would have to be the right thickness to go from the machined pocket in the top of the crossmember to the bottom of the inside of the crossmember.

Not sure if I'm expressing my ideas well enough. Ill try to take pictures in a mock up to show an example of what I mean. Picture is worth 1,000 words

[/URL]
your right"
Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk