News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Eagle! Now I just have to get it started...  (Read 15181 times)

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: New Eagle! Now I just have to get it started...
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
It has been quite cold every day I've had to try and start it, which I'm sure isn't helping. The battery is new, but it was the last one Advance Auto had on the shelf in that group size, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if that turned out to be the problem. I'll do the voltage drop test you suggested Carnuck, and return the battery if need be (hope I can remember what I did with the receipt  :o ). The Solenoid is new, I replaced that when I replaced the ignition module, because it was right there and I didn't want to make another trip the parts store if that was the problem, but I'll check it as well.

Now I just need Sunday to hurry up and get here  :P

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:24 PM »
I just had a terrible thought; what if something is horribly wrong with the valve train? Specifically in relation to the state of that spark plug I pulled out of the #5 cylinder. I guess I'll pull the valve cover on Sunday as well and crank it over by hand to make sure everything that should move, does move.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »
That would be a good idea.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
Removed the valve cover today and found exactly what I was hoping not to; broken springs on both the #4 and #5 rockers.

Along with the broken pieces of spring and washers, I found this plastic piece floating around in there. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

So I picked up some new valve springs at NAPA, I'll probably end up having to pull the head off but I figured I might as well try changing just the springs and giving that a shot first. I also picked up a new starter, just incase it needs it. What I'm most curious about is how this might have happened. I did find that the valve cover had been installed with only RTV and without a gasket and that a large blob of RTV had gotten on rocker closest to the firewall, but I wouldn't think that could cause something like broken springs.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
That plastic thing is the valve seal

Manitowoc WI

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
Check all your push rods too, make sure they didn't get bent during all of that.

Are the broken ones intake or exhaust valves? It could be way out of time maybe

Is this the same one that had the chewed up spark plug?

Did you use any kind of either spray to get it started? Did that once and bent a valve, never again.....
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
Looks like it's the intake valve on #5 (which is the same one I pulled the chewed up spark plug out of) and exhaust on #4 that have broken springs. The more I think about it, the more I think I'd better just go ahead and pull the head.

We did use starting fluid to try and start it, but I can't imagine that would cause two springs to snap  :o

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 06:00:44 PM »
Look down the spark plug hole and see if there is any damage. May have been stuck valves. Common on the plastic cover heads.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
Yeah, sorry you found what you did. You are right to pull the head and see if there is any more damage and fix those valves .

Hopefully the piston in there looks ok , fingers crossed
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 08:16:54 PM »
I would look down the plug holes for damage first. If there is, it's rebuild time.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »
I broke a valve spring, but the retainer stayed on and no other damage occurred. Since your retainer is off, there is a good possibility the valve is bent since it is still hanging in the guide and not down in the cylinder. You can always put the springs on and give it a try. See how easy the valve moves up and down if at all in the guide without dropping into the cylinder.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
Tried looking in the plug hole, couldn't really see much. nothing that jumped out at me anyway. My eyesight isn't fantastic though, so that might have something to do with it. The valves do indeed appear to be bent, the one with the broken spring on #4 doesn't move at all.  Started taking things apart today to pull the head, and once I removed the carb I found more evidence of carnage:

Appears to be cast aluminum; it's nonmagnetic and very light.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
That's a piston skirt.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »
Yup that's part of a piston all right. Looks like a rebuid on the horizon to me. Sorry!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
Now you can not only do the 4.0L head swap, you can swap in the whole motor too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk