News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 07:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New guy. NSS question.  (Read 2050 times)

Offline rmh8400

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
New guy. NSS question.
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
Hi from way far North Dakota! I just purchased an '81 Eagle which I was told "ran before we parked it' a year ago. The kid who was driving it came over and used pliers to bypass the solenoid and it did start. I then drove it down the street and back, came back to pick it up and now I am pretty sure the trouble is the neutral safety switch. Assuming that is the problem, do you have any idea where I can find this part? I am in the middle of nowhere and internet is tough but I cant find any pics on google and darned if I cant' see the wires or anything underneath. Does the protective plate have to be removed for access? I am excited to get this running asap since if it does I get to go home for vacation and see my baby boy for first time since June 4.  I love AMC for the simplicity and I am sure there must be something simple, right? My '64 Rambler Classic (first car) was ultra easy to work on too, as was my Gremlin which had the same 258 six. Cheeers!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:45:28 AM by eaglefreek »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: New guy. NSS question.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »
Welcome, I moved your post from the other thread and started a new topic for you. I'm not sure which protectvie plate you are talking about. Do you mean the transmission crossmember? If so, it might make it easier to get in there. It is located on the left side of the transmission.

If it's the NSS, you could always just run a ground wire to the bottom stud of the starter solenoid or install a solenoid for a manual transmission vehicle. It will allow the car to start in gear though.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
And its a very common MOPAR part.   Pretty much any parts house in the country should have one.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
Someone want to see if RMH8400's email notification is turned on? I wish I could write code better. I've had an idea for years about a website that could really fix the "whereisit?" questions like a Wikipedia but better. I tried to get Schucks (CSK, now OReilly's) to make it, but they figured it was only good for older cars.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk