News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 08:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AC Condenser replacement options  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
AC Condenser replacement options
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »
What options are out there for AC condenser replacement? Anything cheaper than $220? Also since I'm replacing that what other parts of the AC should be serviced at that time? My AC has always been ice cold and functional.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: AC Condenser replacement options
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »
Is the condenser totally shot?  Radiator shops can do some repair on them.  There is also an Eagle with air conditioning in the junkyard, if you want I could grab the condenser.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
Is the condenser totally shot?  Radiator shops can do some repair on them.  There is also an Eagle with air conditioning in the junkyard, if you want I could grab the condenser.

It's bowed it pretty good and in the process of gently removing it I put a good hole in it.

Pm'ed ya.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »
Universal A/C condensers are available on ebay for less than $100 delivered.  Go for a Parallel Flow condenser, it will be more efficient with 134a, and even better yet with R12.   You will need to have hoses made, but most A/C shops can make them  (I can make them as well if I have measurements and fitting sizes).  You will also need a new receiver/drier, and universal ones are less than $20.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
Universal A/C condensers are available on ebay for less than $100 delivered.  Go for a Parallel Flow condenser, it will be more efficient with 134a, and even better yet with R12.   You will need to have hoses made, but most A/C shops can make them  (I can make them as well if I have measurements and fitting sizes).  You will also need a new receiver/drier, and universal ones are less than $20.....Rich

I'll probably go the universal route as there is pretty much no room where the stock one was with my current radiator.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
In order to get the universal condenser to fit I need to remove and re-engineer the center brace for the core support that hold the hood release mechanism. Anybody here done this?

Last question. Will a bigger condenser give me more cold air? My AC has been converted to R134A and has always worked great except for gridlock traffic.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
In order to get the universal condenser to fit I need to remove and re-engineer the center brace for the core support that hold the hood release mechanism. Anybody here done this?

Last question. Will a bigger condenser give me more cold air? My AC has been converted to R134A and has always worked great except for gridlock traffic.

I only needed about 1/2" and was able to mount the radiator a little further back on longer bolts.

The larger condenser will help, but a pair of  small electric pusher fans could be of use. In stopped traffic there are two problems; lack of airflow and a slow compressor.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk