News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 12:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Denver SX/4 Project (Engine Swap Question)  (Read 2237 times)

Offline SnowEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Denver SX/4 Project (Engine Swap Question)
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Long time lurker......

It's probably time to get this Eagle back on the road, as it's been in the garage for almost a year.  I stopped trying to pass the emissions test last year after 3 fails.  It's an 81 SX/4 with the 258 and Gronk's kit.  It also has TF727 but the original Eagle TC.  It has the Javelin springs up front, but we had to cut a little off to make them fit, and new leaf springs in the back.
The engine in this thing is dog-tired and has no grunt left in it.  I'd like to replace it with a re-manufactured stroker with EFI.  I'm stuck in an office all day and will have a shop do the work.  So...... I have two questions to start with:
1) Why does the 4.6 or 4.7 stroker seem to be a more popular choice than, say, an AMC360?
2) Who in the Denver area would you recommend for doing the work?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:20:30 PM by SnowEagle »

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Denver SX/4 Project (Engine Swap Question)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:51:20 PM »
the stroker is popular because it will fit with minor modifications, and you WILL need the original Eagle oil pan/pickup. The AMC V8s in Eagles can be counted on one hand, that is a MAJOR piece of work, for about the same HP, in stock form anyway.  Btw, a well built 258, that you already have, will also move an Eagle nicely. good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
My stroker 6 eagle does shift the rearend a bit when shifting to second. Also i put a 304 into an eagle. lots of work, and not worth it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
Hey SnowEagle, I've got someone in mind who you might want to talk to about your engine swap, he has a shop in Aurora.  I'll drop you an email later today!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk