News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heater Core Leak  (Read 3244 times)

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
Heater Core Leak
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Hello

I read some where on this great site that Toyota's red antifreeze will seal small leaks in the cooling system.
Have talked to Toyota but no one seems to know.

Can some one confirm this is a fact as my heater core in my 82 Eagle has a small leak, windows getting coated but no smell as of now.

Too cold outside to do it myself and hoping.

thanks

dkoug

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: Heater Core Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
Don't know about Toyota's red antifreeze but you might use Bars stop leak the pellet type and put on a different pressure cap. One with a couple pounds less pressure.That should hold until you get some warmer days to change the heater core. Had a old crown vic that had a million miles on it that I drove to work and it had a frost plug right behind the exhaust manifold that had rusted through with a pea sized hole.Two cans of bars stop leak stopped the leak and I drove it for two more years until I sold it to my step grandson who drove the h--- out of it and then wrecked it. But the frost plug didn't leak. My son brought his jeep over last week with a crack in the radiator and
said he could not afford a new radiator right now so we put a can of stop leak in it and no more leak. Said he was afraid the stop leak would plug up his heater. No such thing heater works great. Made a believer out of him and saved his a couple hundred bucks to boot.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk