News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 04:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Accel Coil Question  (Read 1878 times)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Accel Coil Question
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
Has anyone used the Accel 140207 Coil on thier Eagle?  (http://prestoliteperformance.com/ford-canister-dura-spark-racing-coil.html)

Reason I'm asking is with all I've been reading here concering 1.4 and 3.0 Ohm coil resistance comments, If I'm reading it all correctly, a 3.0 ohm coil requires the resistor wire to be bypassed (if you don't you wont get the full voltage the coil is good for) and a 1.4 ohm coil does not require the resistor wire to be bypassed.

The 140207 is a 1.4 ohm coil, has correct horseshoe connector terminals, will fit stock location (Summit has has it as a direct fit for Jeep 258's) and its a 45k coil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Accel Coil Question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
If you use a 1.4 ohm coil, you need to leave the resistor wire in the system.  But if the resistor wire is left in the system, the coil will only be seeing 6V supply, and will thus only be outputting 22.5k Volts.
The stock coil puts out around 18k volts, if I remember correctly, so you are not gaining much voltage to the plugs.

You ideally want one of the 3 ohm coils so that you can bypass the resistor wire and get the full 12V to the coil, thus getting the full 40-45k volts out of the coil.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/images/Downloads/MIU.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk