News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '82 Model ICM - Looking for 12V for HEI  (Read 2163 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
'82 Model ICM - Looking for 12V for HEI
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
So I bought a one-wire HEI distributor and I'm looking for somewhere to grab the 12V from (key in ON position).  I heard on every other year besides '82, this is simply the yellow wire that runs into the ICM.  I no longer have the ICM, it was removed by the previous owner.  The plugs are still there.  Any ideas on where I can find the 12V I need on my year?

Also, the electric choke on the MC2100, does that get the same Key-On 12V supply?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: '82 Model ICM - Looking for 12V for HEI
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
Choke gets a different supply from a timer.  You can test the plugs with the key in the on position, red to the lead and black to battery ground.  Turn the key off and see which one loses power.  I believe it was a red on my 82'.  You can always run a new wire from the Solenoid.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
Sounds easy enough.  Now if I can only find the timer...
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
It's my understanding that the choke gets its 12v from the oil pressure switch after there is  oil pressure. Then it will stay 12v until oil pressure is gone. There is a heater in the intake that runs of a relay that is switched on with oil pressure and then switched off with a sensor in the intake.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
The 3 prong plug behind the oil filter housing has 12V (that's the feed to the choke and the oil light too unless you have a gauge)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
Great, thanks!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk