News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project: Medusa  (Read 40319 times)

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Project: Medusa
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
I'm just saying that yes, it would decrease the amount of friction, but it would add unnecessary complexity to the engine and leave more room for failure in the future. The bearings can wear down, especially if you skimp on the rocker quality to save money.

I've ran roller's in almost all of my hi-po built motors. I never had a problem, and those motors all took a huge beating, pretty much everytime I got in the seat. As long as they are set up properly, I don't see them being less reliable than stock. If anything it's less stress on the motor, faster revving and a bit more power on a hi-po motor.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 07:41:19 PM »
Fair enough. Like I said, I've never done it and have yet to do major engine work on there. I just can't imagine spending the money to buy all new roller rockers when they might only add a couple hp. Unless the entire engine is being overhauled, I'd just as well clean it up thoroughly and put it back together. It's a different story if you plan on doing everything to make a high performance engine, as opposed to just tweaking a single component.

Sorry for the heated debate Will, I hope some of the info helped. There are certainly plenty of people here that know more than I do about these cars, I just have my own way of going about things. We can definitely learn a lot from what they have to say.

Man, I'd love to come down to VA and help if I had the time and money. Sure beats the cold weather!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:43:06 PM by Baskinator »
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

rohnk

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
I haven't looked into the how, but I was contemplating gutting the original radio and installing a newer headunit behind the original face plate. So appearance wise it would look stock, but I could have my CD/iPod hook ups behind it all. Ideally, the original radio face would fold up and down to reveal the new unit behind it.

The answer on the AMC Forum.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/mp3-player-with-old-radio-one-solution_topic16338.html

Prafeston

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »
Rohn, that is quite a task it seems. I'm no electrician! I guess if I wanted to go that route I could probably follow the directions though.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »
Rohn, that is quite a task it seems. I'm no electrician! I guess if I wanted to go that route I could probably follow the directions though.

If you continue reading that thread, there is a link to a place that will do an ipod conversion.  They specialize in Mopar radios but perhaps they would also tackle an AMC

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/id17.html
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »
Fair enough. Like I said, I've never done it and have yet to do major engine work on there. I just can't imagine spending the money to buy all new roller rockers when they might only add a couple hp.

You are right in that sense. Putting them on a stock motor is a waste of money in my opinion. My point was just, that they aren't really 'unreliable'. On a 110HP motor, you'd be lucky to see a few HP increase. Maybe 1-2?.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
On a 110HP motor, you'd be lucky to see a few HP increase. Maybe 1-2?.

That's what I was thinking, and with power lost through the drivetrain (especially the auto trans) it would be very unlikely that anyone would notice a difference.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.  This week has been crazy so I haven't had much time to respond.  I will take a look at everything this weekend and give a proper response.  The only thing on the blotter this weekend is building a shipping crate for the head.  Pictures will follow. 

Best,

Will
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
If you continue reading that thread, there is a link to a place that will do an ipod conversion.  They specialize in Mopar radios but perhaps they would also tackle an AMC

Sent them an email inquiring on the 1983 AMC Eagle stock radio.  Looking forward to a response. 

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »
Sorry for the heated debate Will, I hope some of the info helped. There are certainly plenty of people here that know more than I do about these cars, I just have my own way of going about things. We can definitely learn a lot from what they have to say.

No worries all.  Debating is the only way one learns.  I have a tendency to get a little ahead of myself.  After having done some reading I think rollers rockers, considering my build, would be overkill.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:45:13 AM by Will »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

rohnk

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »

I have a collection of stock radios so I might have to pull one of them apart and see what I can do with it. If I ever find the time.  :(

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
oh my!~  any of them working?  preferably one I could slap in my 83?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Prafeston

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
I have a spare '83 with a radio...my radio in my DD '83 is busted and I haven't tested the spare radio yet. Funny thing is the spare, even though it's the exact same year and model, came with a different radio than my DD.

Here is what my current radio sounds like...good thing is the radio works...the cassette player is just busted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTnseDGqUw

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
I have a spare '83 with a radio...my radio in my DD '83 is busted and I haven't tested the spare radio yet. Funny thing is the spare, even though it's the exact same year and model, came with a different radio than my DD.

Here is what my current radio sounds like...good thing is the radio works...the cassette player is just busted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTnseDGqUw

you sell'n?  if so, just shoot me a pm.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Anyone buying plasma molly piston rings for their Eagles? If so, where?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk