News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 06:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally started the restoration  (Read 8428 times)

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
Re: Finally started the restoration
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
I have to wonder if milliard enjoys tormenting me.  
I guess you will just have to make me an offer Jim. After the holidays I will polish up the chrome bits and put the NOS tail lights, front turnsignals and side marker lights. Wish I had NOS headlight and front hood trim to finish it off. Also have a NOS driver side mirror. It should look near new  when it's finished. I also have a NOS sport grill for the 80 model year. Still holding out hope for the last 3 pieces. I did see a NOS hood trim but it was for the 2 headlamp concord. Forgot, I also have the NOS hood spear with hood ornament. The chrome at the windshield end is a little weak, like it was a second but it's still all shiny.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »
I'd be afraid to drive it after doing all that work.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
Love the color! Now there's why vinyl tops are sooo cool.Looks very nice my friend.Wouldn't mind finding a set of nos headlight surrounds myself or a set of mirrors! Anyway super sharp and hope you post a picture when finished.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
Has anyone done a faithful restoration on the early style hub caps?  the inside of the honeycomb type holes are black but the inner sides are silver like the outside. It appears that once these hubcaps were assembled they cannot be taken apart. The outer stainless trim ring is rounded over by machine and can not be undone. I fell for a set of NOS trim rings that were never mounted and the outer end is open. Only a special machine like the one that make tin cans only bigger could apply these rings. I have seen where people have just painted the whole plastic area one color but it doesn't look correct. Especially that $10,000 2 door in Nebraska, his are painted body color and it looks stupid. I don't know if anyone has made a stencil of the bottom to use as masking.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »
THat Eagle looks amazing.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
Thanks again 83eagle. Does it make you want to keep driving eagles?

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »
I understand about being afraid to drive something that looks so perfect, but I realized after many refurbished cars, that driving it is the whole idea!  It does no good sitting in the garage collecting dust.  I just don't take them to WallyWorld or KMart to get banged up in the parking lot.  In fact my "babies" rarely leave my sight when we're out showing off.  :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:28 AM »
I intend on driving it as much as I can. I was referring to 83Eagles intentions on selling his bird for now. Sometimes a little inspiration can change your mind. Seeing all the restoration projects on the nest nudged me to give mine a proper paint treatment instead of a quickie spray. Sometimes it is not about saving a buck but rather helping to create or preserve something that will last. Barring any car accidents this car will never be just some winter beater for someone as many are. Now it's  true collector car and will likely outlast me. I would love to get my hands on that 1980 2 door in South Carolina and do the same thing. Now that the holidays are over I better start polishing the chrome bits. Funny how quick you get caught up in the " while I'm at it" syndrome! Any ideas on how to restore the black paint in between the letters of the metal Emblems? If I could get some stickers made of just the letters then I could use them as masking and just spray the black. Maybe I can ask a restoration shop. I know Juhap and some others might know.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »
What I was going to do on the emblems (again was, lol), paint the entire emblem satin black, then use a laquer thinner soaked Q-tip to scrub the black off the raised Eagle letters. After polishing them up, my gf saw them and liked them like that, so that's how they will stay (it is her car, lol). This is tedious but it does work, you could trace over the Eagle letters with a light grease prior to painting to make paint removal eaiser too.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
There's a good article in the Forum on 'emblem restoration'.  Just a search pulls it up.  Let's keep those Eagles flying! :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk