News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 02:15:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Trailer Queen" the 1983 Limited Wagon  (Read 74217 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: My First Eagle: 1983 Limited Wagon "Trailer Queen"
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:08:07 AM »
Where are you heading in CO?  If you bring the wagon and you're going to be in the Denver area, we could have a mini-meet  :occasion14:

I don't believe the Eagle will be taken on this long trek. I'd just hate to do that to her on my first week of having her.

The wedding is in Wetmore, CO just south of Colorado Springs. Turns out it's actually a 15 hour drive from where I live. Ouch!

Shanebo and Maddog are down in that neck of the woods!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 02:29:34 AM »
Where are you heading in CO?  If you bring the wagon and you're going to be in the Denver area, we could have a mini-meet  :occasion14:

I don't believe the Eagle will be taken on this long trek. I'd just hate to do that to her on my first week of having her.

The wedding is in Wetmore, CO just south of Colorado Springs. Turns out it's actually a 15 hour drive from where I live. Ouch!

Shanebo and Maddog are down in that neck of the woods!
yes we are. i'm in Pueblo and if i remember right shanebo is to the west of Colorado Springs.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Prafeston

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:26 AM »
yes we are. i'm in Pueblo and if i remember right shanebo is to the west of Colorado Springs.[/color]

Well it would appear I'm pretty close to both of you, but probably won't really have any time to hang out. I do know Friday after the rehearsal we are having dinner in Florence and then just hanging out around there. I guess there is some thing going on in town...Pioneer Days celebration?

If you are in the area definitely shoot me a PM and we'll exchange info and say hi! I just can't really hang much as I'm sure the groom is gonna wanna spend time with all of us.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 04:04:22 AM »
Wetmore's about 2hrs south of me....only about an hour away from maddog though.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 04:10:28 AM »
Oh yeah.....georgeous car by the way. What a find!! Its funny, i had posted last night  asking about wagons that have the roof rack delete and their rarity. the few I have seen w/o the roof rack were fairly low optioned models (like mine) and I was wondering if any limited models had that delete option.....you sir, just answered my question. Thank you  ;D

Prafeston

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 08:30:37 AM »
its probably oil leaking from the valve cover. plastic valve covers leak. first investment in it needs to be to swap to one of the aluminum valve cover kits. for the ones that work, will cost AROUND $100. little less on some websites. 2nd job to do, go with gronks motorcraft 2100 carburetor kit. that will be a HUGE improvement on driveability, milage, and maintenance. but with that, you get rid of most all of the emissions crap.

i think thats about the closest i have seen to a show room eagle since i was a little kid and remembering the amc dealership and always wanting one. (there is now a super walmart where the old dealership was)

I've already been looking at Valve Covers. Do any of the 4.2L Jeep Valve Covers work?

Already been looking at GRONKs carb kit too, but unfortunately for right now, that's a bit pricey.

Thanks for the compliment on the car. She is quite sharp. If you saw her in person you'd find a few blemishes, but for the most part it looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Wetmore's about 2hrs south of me....only about an hour away from maddog though.

Well if either of you check out that Pioneer Days celebration in Florence and think it might be someting worth going and checking out I'd be happy to meet up with you.

Oh yeah.....georgeous car by the way. What a find!! Its funny, i had posted last night  asking about wagons that have the roof rack delete and their rarity. the few I have seen w/o the roof rack were fairly low optioned models (like mine) and I was wondering if any limited models had that delete option.....you sir, just answered my question. Thank you  ;D

Thanks! For it being a Limited it is very low option. It's like someone was like, "Yeah, I want the leather seats, but I can't afford all that other stuff!"

No Cruise Control
No Fog Lights
No Roof Rack
No Power Windows
No Power Locks
No Center Gauge Pod
No Power Seats (Not sure if this was an option in '83, but I have seen this on Eagle)
Two Speed Wipers
Apparently No Cargo Cover (Though this could have been removed at some point)

That's all I can think of right now, but yeah, it appears to be a very low optioned Limited.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
  I am sure you will do what you think best, but if it were mine, I would not remove any factory equipment (emission, carb, etc).  The best option is a FI 4.0 for MPG, but I would not suggest that for your car, as it is toooooo nice to modify it's stock form.  If the engine had several hundred thousand miles on it, I'd say go for it, but not this one.   It is hard to squeeze more MPG out of a carbureted engine.  These 6's are NOT known for high MPG.  I was very happy to get the 21.6 average MPG on my 5,600 mile trip.  That would be another reason to get a cheap (higher MPG) beater for daily driving, and just use the Eagle for the weekend and special trips. Being in the "salt Belt" would be another reason to park the Eagle in the winter.  Many nice looking Eagles (on the outside) have suffered from rust rot, and I would hate to see yours suffer that same fate.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

1988eagle

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
Real nice car.  It looks like my first Eagle only nicer by far.  Congrats.  I enjoyed the story too.  Have a good egg! :hello2:

Prafeston

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
The best option is a FI 4.0 for MPG

Is this just the head conversion I've read about in a few places?

If I do anything to this car it would be replacing the plastic valve cover and possibly upgrading the carb. Now I'm kind of wanting a beater Eagle! I think I bought a car nicer than I was initially looking for! :)

Real nice car.  It looks like my first Eagle only nicer by far.  Congrats.  I enjoyed the story too.  Have a good egg! :hello2:

Thanks for sticking it out for the whole story. Sent you an egg too for making it through that novel!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »
I know its your car and your free to do what ever you see fit to do to it,but if it were mine I would polish and detail it and keep it in a garage only to be driven on nice days or maybe a car show or cruise night.People admire stock original cars and if at some point and time decide you want to sell it one of the first questions you will be ask is it original and then whats the milage.Thats just my two cents but if its original keep it original.Down the road you will be glad you did.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
I know its your car and your free to do what ever you see fit to do to it,but if it were mine I would polish and detail it and keep it in a garage only to be driven on nice days or maybe a car show or cruise night.People admire stock original cars and if at some point and time decide you want to sell it one of the first questions you will be ask is it original and then whats the milage.Thats just my two cents but if its original keep it original.Down the road you will be glad you did.

I don't plan on touching anything unless it breaks...speaking of which. My tape deck isn't working properly and I'd love to find a replacement. Also considering some sort of original look...like keeping the face of the radio and getting the innards to replace with a CD Headunit. Then the original face could be flipped down to reveal the CD Player behind it. No one would have to know the original radio didn't work! :)

Unfortunately I live with my mom and between her stuff and my motorcycle there is no room for a car.

Might have to look into a car cover and maybe someone can just donate another Eagle for me to tote around during the winter  ;) ;) ;)

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
a jeep cherokee is a great winter beater car cause when the cherokee starts to rot you have everything needed to fuel inject and maybe solid axle your next eagle ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 03:21:14 AM »
I would baby that thing as if it was a cherry late 60's muscle car!

Prafeston

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
a jeep cherokee is a great winter beater car cause when the cherokee starts to rot you have everything needed to fuel inject and maybe solid axle your next eagle ;D

Maybe I just need a second Eagle! :)

I would baby that thing as if it was a cherry late 60's muscle car!

How bad do you want to baby "this" car...there is always a price! :)

On a side note I might have had a couple more first for TQ...at least some first in some time. Been kind of raining lately so she got to feel some rain and I had a remote video shoot and got to haul some equipment around in the back hatch.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Shame,shame, shame! If my eagle got wet I would be mad for a week! But thats just me! Each to their own! I'm sure it will clean up again.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk