News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 12:07:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It won't stop!  (Read 2514 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
It won't stop!
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
I just went out to start my car and heard the started grinding. I tried shutting it off and it would just keep going. How do I replace the starter switch?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: It won't stop!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:04:43 PM »
Usually its the starter solenoid on the passenger side inner fender.  Very easy fix.  Make sure and get the one for an automatic transmission and make sure you hook up the neutral safety switch wire.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: It won't stop!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
This nasty surprise was pretty bad. I have a water pump that needs to be replaced soon and I went out and started the car. Heard a grinding noise and thought the water pump finally blew up. I tried disengaging the engine and it wouldn't respond. The grinding I was hearing was the starter. I finally got it to stop by pulling the coil wire and then the battery cable. It was still trying to start. :-\

Usually its the starter solenoid on the passenger side inner fender.  Very easy fix.  Make sure and get the one for an automatic transmission and make sure you hook up the neutral safety switch wire.
You're right. It was the solenoid. *taps*

Overloaded. O_o

I replaced it with one off of a dead '84 Eagle. I'll have to order a premium part for this since no one around here has the exact part I need.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ECM goes next. I really need to just pull the engine and start replacing anything that has been caked with random elements across the past 30 years. :(
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk