News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 11:40:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1981 SX/4 With the GM I4 thats a 4-speed  (Read 4318 times)

Offline amcman73

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
1981 SX/4 With the GM I4 thats a 4-speed
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
So I just received a call from a guy who is the original owner of a 1981 SX/4 With the GM I4 that's a 4-speed.He was see if i am interested in buying it. The guy gave a great story on the car from when he bought it in 81' from the towns local AMC dealer at the end of the year clearance sale they only had 3 left on the lot one was a Wagon and 2 SX/4 one Auto and the other one was a 4 speed so he bought the 4-speed SX/4. He's drove to to and from work for years. I have even seen the guy driving it around town before.The eagle has 142,000 on it and comes with all the paper work and a few extra parts new tires. He even said its got a full tank of gas!!!.When i was on the phone with the guy the deal just kept getting better and better the car has such a cool history. He's retiring and wants it to go to a good home and hardly wants any thing for it .The car only has a little dent on the driver side and its sorta a bummer it being a GM I4. But that's what it came with so its fine with me. I have always wanted an SX/4 .It will be so sweet with my 2 Javelins and Rambler. :amc: :eaglebig:

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: 1981 SX/4 With the GM I4 thats a 4-speed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
the gm iron duke is a pretty good little motor for fuel economy and they last a good long time.  best of luck with it and welcome to the nest
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:54:26 PM »
Welcome, and we would like to see lots of pictures and hear more of the story.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

blondedriver

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
not seen many 4cly sx4's and the little duke is a good engine and can be built up quite nice ,, heck my fiero running horrible is getting 25 mpg!!

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
Cool deal that the owner actually reached out to you, trying to give the car a good home. Check for subframe rustout in the usual places like where the front subframe joins the body subframe.

The Iron Duke is not a bad engine, it was just saddled with the worst emissions-limiting crap like a tiny carb and a smog pump. If the car is pretty clean, you could look into swapping the throttle body fuel injection setup from another GM application that shared that engine. A final bonus, the 4 cylinder Eagles came with lower axle gear ratios(numerically higher) than the 6 cyl cars, so the car already has 3.55 gears, making it a hot rod if you were to swap in a 6cyl or V8. If the car is pretty rough, you might consider it just for the gearing. Save every 4cyl front axle you can come across, since a 4 cyl front axle swap is pretty much the only way to get lower gears into the front end of an Eagle.

Hey, blondedriver, I'm finally getting back to putting your gold car back together. I'll have to start a new projuct thread, since my old thread disappeared when the new look came to the Nest. Good to see you're still around here.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
My 4 Cyl. Iron Duke in my SX/4 is the worst engine I have ever seen.  I don't want to harp on it too bad here, but when you go 0-60 mph in 41 seconds... It's kinda hard not to...  :-\    

Hard to believe GM put these in Camaros   ::)  :rotfl:
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
My 4 Cyl. Iron Duke in my SX/4 is the worst engine I have ever seen.  I don't want to harp on it too bad here, but when you go 0-60 mph in 41 seconds... It's kinda hard not to...  :-\    

Yeah. They are a horrible motor power wise.
A buddy of mine had a firebird with one, and it was faster walking.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »
Hard to believe GM put these in Camaros

Not all Camaros were performance cars, unfortunately.  Even back in the '60s you could get a stripped down six-banger Camaro.  Ditto for the Mustang and others.

Just say "Berlinetta" to a die-hard Camaro guy and watch the reaction.  ;D
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:11:24 PM »

Well hopefully, the 4 speed will wake it up a little, or at least make it more tolerable.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
in all honesty I really like the little iron duke.  where it's not the quickest engine out there it make up for it with fuel economy (in a spirit at least).  My opinion could however change after I get my kammback back on the road 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk