News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: headlight/wiper switch replacement  (Read 13198 times)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: headlight/wiper switch replacement
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
Removing the dash part ot get to the switches is made to sound a lot easier than it is.  Unless you have monkey paws with gorilla grip forget about reaching up through the 4wd opening or under the dash to release or remove anything.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Smitch

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
Removing the dash part ot get to the switches is made to sound a lot easier than it is.  Unless you have monkey paws with gorilla grip forget about reaching up through the 4wd opening or under the dash to release or remove anything.

What do you suggest?

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
I suppose I have monkey paws or gorilla grip because I removed both switches through the 4wd opening.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Smitch

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »
I suppose I have monkey paws or gorilla grip because I removed both switches through the 4wd opening.

Are you sure you didn't cut a hole through your firewall?  ;D
When I changed mine a few years back I don't recall any major difficulties either.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
The hole in the firewall option was looking tempting before I gave up on tilting out the instrument panel bezel.
Luckily I don't have large hands.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Smitch

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
The hardest "up under the dash" problem I've had so far was finding the flasher for the signal lights. It was higher than the light switch and closer to the windshield. I didn't put it back up there after I changed the flasher. Did you have to change yours when you added trailer lights?

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
My cluster wouldn't tilt forward unless I was able to get the electrical connections and speedo cable loose.  I could not get a hand up behind the cluster from below or from the 4wd opening.  I could see up there but no way was there enough clear space to reach up.  I had to remove some additional screws that held the front part of the cluster to the rear part in order to finally get the thing out without breaking anything.  Even then I was only able to get it out far enough to get to the headlight switch and replace it.  Turns out that wasn't the problem after all and all that effort was no more than an exercise of experience.  Maybe some are put together with some extra wire or tabs have already been broken by previous owners but even reading the removal instructions word for word which are here on this site, the removal was not in any way as easy or worked as described for me.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »
The hardest "up under the dash" problem I've had so far was finding the flasher for the signal lights. It was higher than the light switch and closer to the windshield. I didn't put it back up there after I changed the flasher. Did you have to change yours when you added trailer lights?
Yes.  I went with a heavy duty flasher.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
My cluster wouldn't tilt forward unless I was able to get the electrical connections and speedo cable loose.  I could not get a hand up behind the cluster from below or from the 4wd opening.  I could see up there but no way was there enough clear space to reach up.  I had to remove some additional screws that held the front part of the cluster to the rear part in order to finally get the thing out without breaking anything.  Even then I was only able to get it out far enough to get to the headlight switch and replace it.  Turns out that wasn't the problem after all and all that effort was no more than an exercise of experience.  Maybe some are put together with some extra wire or tabs have already been broken by previous owners but even reading the removal instructions word for word which are here on this site, the removal was not in any way as easy or worked as described for me.
As I mentioned, my headlight switch wasn't my problem, either, so I too did it for the experience.  I gave up on the dash removal.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk