News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 04:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My newest acquisition, 81 SX/4  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
My newest acquisition, 81 SX/4
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
Just picked up another SX/4 off of Duane714. My plan is to turn it into a SAS trail rig.

Now, before you guys threaten to kill me for turning such a nice SX/4 into a trail rig, i will draw your attention to a few pictures.

Yes, that goes all the way through

And i haven't even taken a picture of under the dash. It's almost completely solid with cheap crimp on wire conectors, bad splices, and dozens and dozens of wires that go nowhere(the PO(not duane714) had all sorts of electrical bullcrap installed, such as electrical intermitened wipers, motion/sound/virbration activated "smart" alarm. Massive aftermarket sound system, 3rd tail light, timed interior lights, electraly operated high and low beam switch ec.)

All of these things are fixable, but all of them together, coupled with real bad body and paint work. It just isn't worth it.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Smitch

Re: My newest acquisition, 81 SX/4
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:21:16 AM »
Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover!!
Go for it!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
Now, before you guys threaten to kill me for turning such a nice SX/4 into a trail rig, i will draw your attention to a few pictures.

Oh dear!  I thought it looked like a really sweet car at first.

Offline duane2171

• TemperMental
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!  I didn't think it was THAT bad. ???   Have you had a chance to drive it at all?  Nice pics BTW.
1978 AMX (Rex)
1981 Jeep Scrambler (not done yet)
Manx Dunebuggy (Bugly)
79 Jeep J10 shortbox  (Jasper)
1961 Rambler Classic 6 (Roxy)
1967 Ford Econoline

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »
If you do make it into a trail rig, remove and sell the bumper caps first!   Don't do like I did, and thrash the caps before finding out that they are worth their weight in gold!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Yup, I've also had a first hand look at this car. 

The P.O. was... shall we say, Different?  Anyways, he put a TON of crap on this SX4.  modern cruise, modern delay wipers, a car alarm, a remote starter (I think), 4 speaker and sub system), daytime running lights, and lots of other crap he had installed.  he altered it quite a bit.

Not to mention that he had someone 'weld' the issues with the frame.  Well that someone doesn't know how to weld - Their all 'booger welds'.  Horrible.

The car wasn't well worked on.  All the repairs, installs and whatever else was done soo badly, it's a wonder the car will start.  From what Mechanic (here) and El Matador has told me, the wiring is a nightmare.

So I don't blame Mechanic here for stripping the car down.  It would take more to repair this car... well it'd be a Ground up resto.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »
I can't believe it took me this long to stumble on to this topic.

As someone who has had the, uh... "pleasure" of working on this car, I can vouch that it's every bit as bad as described here and more.  I'm not sure which was worse, dealing with the car or the former owner.

It was involved in a major collision back in 2001, and has a salvage/rebuilt status to show for it.  How it ever passed the salvage vehicle inspection is beyond me.  The body shop had it for four years before the owner finally got it back.  You'd think that if it took that long, the bodywork would be exceptional.  Well, it was exceptionally bad.  The paint job is terrible, and under that paint is Bondo galore.  Several spots can be seen where Bondo is cracking and separating from the metal, and rust is settling in underneath.

Don't even get me started on the electrical nightmare.  :o
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Don't even get me started on the electrical nightmare.  :o

No, really get started on the electrical...  C'mon, don't hold back here...

IIRC, there were several bad add-ons... for starters:

Intermitted wipers (after market, or other car maker) 
remote car starter
Car alarm,
daytime running lights,
and a pretty big stereo (that's over 10 years old)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, and Dean's not kidding about the bondo - Not to mention all the cracked 'booger' welds, rot, and sub-frame body issues.

The car was very badly worked on (so anything that was done is worse now) and is headaches galore. 

It's basically a really pretty parts car.

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »
O.O Ok... I know I am stubborn, but OMGWTFBBQSAUCE!? I mean really? he let that poor car degrade THAT badly?! I am sorry if that sounds harsh and judge mental, but WOW!!! Ok... Now I feel bad and guilty for the lack of attention on my own... I suppose I would be in the same boat if I was anywhere other than high desert oregon... I have been lucky to be relatively rust free on the eagle at this point.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline duane2171

• TemperMental
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
Let me just clarify that I didn't do any of the weird alterations to the SX-4 LOL!!  I rescued it from the crusher and Pat was interested and picked it up off me.  I haven't heard from Pat in awhile to know how he's making out with it.   Pat Give me a call we need to get together.
1978 AMX (Rex)
1981 Jeep Scrambler (not done yet)
Manx Dunebuggy (Bugly)
79 Jeep J10 shortbox  (Jasper)
1961 Rambler Classic 6 (Roxy)
1967 Ford Econoline

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
OH, ok, that was a rescue that was already a lost cause, good save as it looks like the majority of the body is otherwise unmolested or broken, I do apologize if that sounded harsh, I didn't mean to sound so judgmental, I was just in shock over the laundry list of defects and a bit of guilt over my own SX/4's time in the blocks. Anyway, Again i am sorry to hear the unibody is so deteriorated, I just hope that you can rescue what's left and keep it or it's parts on the road.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Well, it's kinda saved - It was going to the crusher, and the interior isn't too bad, and there's probably good parts on it, and Pat is gonna keep it running... we hope...

but in the PO's defence, he wasn't all there to begin with:

- Worried more about his tan, and how much he could stand the heat outside (he kinda looks like a Health ad for 'don't over Suntan').
- He's kinda loopy, so you really can't blame him for getting crappy work done,
- Doesn't know D.A. about cars, and I'm surprised he can even drive one,
- We think he got out on a weekend pass from a mental institution, and never returned (my opinion),
- And he'll talk both your ears off, if you even go near him.

But otherwise, he's a great guy if you avoid him.   (yup, this is in his defence).

So, that's the result of him owning a car.  It's falling apart.  Like I said, it's a pretty parts car - Unless you're REALLY good with a welder and you're a great 'Tin basher'.

**Jeepgyrl13**

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
And to think that when Duane brought that car home, he figured I would like to drive, it.....knowing the past history and everything....... :rotfl:

I was not havin it, it did go to a good home, now hopefully he can salvage it or work his magic.....he might need a little  :help: in the process.....

Duane...see I told you not to buy it, but glad you saved it and sold it ;)

amcbigeagle

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
Fairly recently an AMC friend said he had purchased a SX4 sight unseen and at first sight it looked to be very solid but upon close inspection was so badly rusted underneath the doors wouldn't close properly. The back floor was nearly nonexistent and the rear frame was hanging by the barest minimum of metal. How those rocker frames were holding it all together I hadn't a clue, but I did know that a few more good ol' Ohio road bumps would have finished up what the salt had started. I bought the car knowing the required repairs were way beyond my abilities but it had many usable parts so.......well, you know.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »
I bought my SX4 sight unseen and on my way up to get it I was getting pretty nervous. For what ever reason the visible body on these cars was the last thing to rust, which makes pictures of the the body kind of deceptive...they can look cherry in a photo but the underside can look like swiss cheese.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk