News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 110509 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »
Will need new drums for the rear wheels along with a hardware kit. Got the wheel cylinders today and brake pads for the front.

Also, the oxygen sensor was on the car but not connected to anything. Does anybody know if this Wrangler engine takes an oxygen sensor? If so, where does it connect to and should it use the part for the Wrangler or the Eagle?

My real question should be: What components need to be Jeep specific parts since I have a Wrangler engine?
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
Here is a video of the car driving: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/?action=view&current=4Driving.mp4

Didn't want to push it too hard since the exhaust isn't on, the air filter wasn't installed, and the brakes are bad. You can probably see the muffler hanging when I drove it. Still, it does well off-road!

Prafeston

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »
Well it drives! That's a start. Now to get it road worthy! :)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
Awesome!  you're driving it already.  You work fast...  ;D

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 12:49:34 AM »
Haha, well I just wanted to see if it did drive. Still have lots to do, but I'm waiting on parts from RockAuto and some other sites. Ordered a Magnaflow catalytic converter and glasspack muffler as well  ;D I should have the brakes done by the end of the week, or as soon as the parts get here. I already disassembled and reassembled both rear drum brakes to inspect them and make sure I could do the job right when the new parts get here. Ordered all new assembly for the rear brakes: drums, hardware kit, adjuster kit, shoes, lines, left side parking break cable, and hose. Also got rotors and hoses for the front, as well as pads from Advance Auto. Got some other parts as well, all new lug nuts and studs, motor mounts, thermostat, pcv valve (all from RockAuto), Strong Arm struts for the rear hatch, and an air filter from advance auto.

I replaced the exterior driver door handle today and mounted the driver mirror up, then tightened both mirrors. Also thoroughly cleaned the cap for the brake master cylinder yesterday, it needed it badly. Still need to degrease the engine.

There are a couple things stumping me in the engine compartment ???. There are 2 thin hoses, black and green, that don't go to anything. One comes out of the dash area, the other I'm not sure of. There are also a bunch of other electrical cable connectors that don't match, but aren't connected to anything either. The only thing I can think of for these things is the gauges in the dash, which haven't seemed to be working.

Also, the O2 sensor isn't hooked up to anything and I have to check that out.
I will get pictures of the engine up soon.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
If your O2 sensor isn't hooked up, then there is a good chance that your computer was bypassed, meaning you now have a non-feedback carb on it (or the stepper motor has been disabled).  Some of the other disconnected wiring could be related to this.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
If your O2 sensor isn't hooked up, then there is a good chance that your computer was bypassed, meaning you now have a non-feedback carb on it (or the stepper motor has been disabled).  Some of the other disconnected wiring could be related to this.

Would this be a problem, or does it not matter?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »

Would this be a problem, or does it not matter?

The only problem it could potentially cause is with emissions.  Technically you are required to keep the computer in the loop for emissions, but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to figure this out then. My county in PA requires emissions testing, and PA is strict about everything ::)

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »
I have a few blue fronts sitting here if you need one

Ah, just realized you said this. That would be great if you could hold one for me, I'm missing the front right endcap. Do you know if they're needed to pass inspection?
to be honest I don't know, I would think not but some of these inspection agents don't like older cars and look for a reason to fail anything older than 10 years.  I have a good friend of mine that does the inspections on MY cars and I take anything that my wife drives to my work where they look over everything with a fine tooth comb (norminaly costs me around 200 bucks in repairs)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
I definitely have my work cut out for me. I'll have to try repairing my left rear endcap, since they're so rare and expensive. My parts should start coming tomorrow, so I can get started on other things. I replaced the fuel filter and battery cables today, and also put on a new gas cap. Also tried taking the dash apart to get to the gauges, took me like 4 hours to get it apart and back together and there was no point since everything seemed to be connected.

Anyone have any tips for troubleshooting the speedometer/gauges? None seem to be moving when they should be.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
Was the speedo cable connected to the instument cluster when you inspected it? how about under where it attaches to the tailshaft/back of the transfer case
let me see if  ican load a pic of what to look for
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
I was just under there and there was a cable attached to the transfer case. I didn't check to see where it went to, but I'm pretty sure it was attached to the gauges since I couldn't pull them out of the dash. Thanks for the info though.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Anyone have any tips for troubleshooting the speedometer/gauges? None seem to be moving when they should be.

The technical service manual has a chart with steps to troubleshoot different issues with the gauge cluster.  If you don't already have a TSM, you should consider buying one.  It'll be a good investment

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »
I just checked Drive Clean Pennsylvania's website and found out that my car only requires a Visual Check and a Gas Cap Test in Montgomery County. The visual check is to make sure all emissions equipment is there and installed correctly. The gas cap test is to make sure the gas cap doesn't leak (shouldn't be a problem since I just got a new gas cap).
http://www.ahs2.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/testinfo.htm

Of course I'll have to check to make sure everything is connected properly, and I'll still have to figure out the O2 senor.

I ordered a manual from the "bay". I would've gotten the one from the Nest, but it costs about 3 times what this one did, and I'd like a paper copy anyway to have out when I'm working.

I got a new catalytic converter, but this one is universal and doesn't have a hose. Will this be a problem?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk