News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:39:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member, new eagle  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Ivan Ingram

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
New member, new eagle
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Hello all! finally got around to joining the forum. A major motivation was finally getting my hands on an eagle!

I'd been wanting one of these ever since my parents sold theirs back in '92 (I was only two at the time, but :censored: it sure made an impression) and I'd been lurking the classifieds and ebay in search of one that I could afford not only to buy, but to transport home.

Luck finally struck two weeks ago, found this beauty.

By ivaningr at 2011-05-21

Picked it up for $700, came with a bush bar, an electric winch, 4 fog lights, and two CB radios. I'm also pretty sure its been raised about 2". I had to have it towed home unfortunately, because while it does run, the carb is in serious need of a rebuild, which I plan on doing next weekend.

For now, I'm only planning on dealing with the immediate problems that are needed before I can safety it, almost everything else is going to wait till I finish my resto-modded 1963 triumph spitfire. A few of the things to deal with sooner than later are:
Rocker panel on the drivers side, its rotted through and very localized. It seems easy enough to fix.
Rebuilding the carb so that I can at least drive it around the yard
Clean and seal a great many of the small surface rust patches that are showing up.
Bleed or fix the breaks, currently they feel like pressing down on a very large sponge.
Convert to manual, I hate automatics and the one on my eagle is particularity buggered. The gates that offer resistance when you go from gear to gear are nonexistant, so you have to guess which gear its in and hope it works.
Fix the wiring for the headlamps and possibly fix the headlamps themselves
reglue or redo the headliner, its come undone

Things I plan on doing later:
probably a 4.0 head swap or a complete engine swap, fuel injection conversion, etc... basically get it running as efficiently as possible with the most power possible (I heard of a few cases of 30mpg? that would be nice)
Recoloring the interior, I would like a more black, grey, white, brown interior to the current brown on brown. There is alot of faded plastic, so I would have to do something anyway.
Re carpet to match the new color scheme
Fix all the electrical tidbits
Replace the dash mounted clock with a tach
new soundsystem, nothing extravagant, just good clean sound. Possibly a small, easily removable subwoofer box behind the back seats. take it out when I need to transport things.
Repaint the whole thing in black, matt or gloss, undecided. its going to be largely a winter car so baking in the sun is not a huge concern.
Carputer? not sure yet.
theres probably alot more to do, but I cant think of anything more atm.

anyway, I look forward to get this thing back on the road.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: New member, new eagle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »
welcome to the nest and that eagle looks pretty good.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
Nice find!!,I have one with the Hesco mpfi set up installed by the former owner,works great,just needed to run a kill switch for the fuel pump,check out my pics on that link in "Our Engines".
 Body looks straight,and the seats are in good shape.I can picture it with  the lights and push bar/winch installed.careful in the winter I rolled mine onto its side avoiding a deer and the salt brine can bring that rust right back
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Welcome to the 'Nest!   Congratulations on your first Eagle!   yours looks like my first Eagle:
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline n9xvt

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »
nice eagle! they got a CB in the back? wow they must have really needed to get a message thru!,,
these things are really capable of having an effect on people,,i owned a concord,,and only once from a distance saw an eagle,,it was a wagon and sagged bad in the back,,i didnt even get to look that close,,after years and years and several vehicles i fineally found mine,,keep you're chin up and if you get stummped this place has several guys willing to chat ya thru any problems,,!!

Offline Ivan Ingram

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
nice eagle! they got a CB in the back? wow they must have really needed to get a message thru!,,

Yeah, the guy I bought it from was definately what I would call a backyard mechanic with questionable judgement...
I'm glad I bought it before he could afford to do more than replace the fuel line. One of his brilliant ideas involved having metal ramps so that he could drive his trike and park it on the roof. He did install a new fuel pump & line though, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »
Welcome to the Nest!  I bet that Eagle has some stories to tell.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk