News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 03:12:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello from Vancouver  (Read 7208 times)

1988eagle

Hello from Vancouver
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
Hi dudes.  I'm happy to announce that I have just rejoined the elite division of humanity that can claim the pleasure of soaring with the Eagles!  Back in 1999 I owned a bitchin' 1981 wagon.  It always been my favorite ex-vehicle.

After two months of searching my girlfriend and I have just acquired a 1988 Eagle.

I drove it on a temporary permit for four days and was very impressed.  It ran well and was more fun to drive then I remembered.  Unfortunately the catalytic converter has been removed and will need to be replaced before it can go through AirCare.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Hello from Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
Welcome to the Nest.  If its a Canadian car, then it may never have had a catalytic converter.  Unless, the later Canadian models did.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
Welcome to the Nest!  There are lots of your 'Canadian buddies' here on the nest.  We got most covering North American, some in Central and south america, Europe, and places like Norway (??).

There's even a couple on Vancouver Island, and at least one in the southern Gulf Islands.

Yeah, Canadian cars have C converters.  I don't know when they started to show up in Can vehicles, but they did.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
Yeah, Canadian cars have C converters.

Canadian cars in general, yes... but not Eagles.  Somehow they got an exemption from catalytic converters in Canada, so make sure the AirCare testing station knows that.  The car should only have to pass the standards of its model year and classification.  Eagles qualify as light trucks.

(Thank God for no emissions testing in Alberta...)
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
I didn't know it was only Eagles, cause I used to have a Spirit Sedan, and that had a C. converter.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Yes, Eagles were EPA'd as light trucks.  Also why we don't find recoverable bumpers on Eagles.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
Aye, my 1980 has a C converter, although all the ac has been ripped out. :)
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

0stego

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
Yeah, Canadian cars have C converters.

Canadian cars in general, yes... but not Eagles.  Somehow they got an exemption from catalytic converters in Canada, so make sure the AirCare testing station knows that.  The car should only have to pass the standards of its model year and classification.  Eagles qualify as light trucks.

(Thank God for no emissions testing in Alberta...)

Yes, I'm glad there is not as well... don't think any of my vehicles would pass.

Welcome, from another Alberta member!! ;)

1988eagle

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
Good to know.  My exhaust does appear to be stock without a CC.  I think I'll roll through AirCare on monday and see how she does.

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »
Don't know much about USA & Canada laws, but here in Italy, if a car was born without CC, it stays so. And they have different parameters in their emissions checking machines to use with no-cat cars.
My "Brampton" (so no cat) Eagle passed with flying colors last year, the guy told me it would have passed even with the params used for  catalyitic cars ;)
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22:34 AM »
US law is the same.  I don't believe any export Eagles had catalytic converters, Kenosha or Brampton built.   Apparently, there was even a Japanese export model offered but I have never heard of one being in existence or any actually made or even exported.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

1988eagle

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »
Well it sure would be nice if my machine passes first try.  I'm hopeful but not confident that it will.  If anyone could offer some tips and advice I'd certainly be appreciative.  Obviously I'll warm her up well and try to nice up the tester person first.  Thanks for all the responses and wish me luck.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
Do a tune up on the ignition system (cap/rotor, wires, spark plugs, maybe even coil) to ensure good spark.  It may also help to fill it with higher octane gas for the test, even if you don't plan to run that full time.  You just want to make sure you're getting combustion which is as complete and clean as possible.

Also do a quick visual check of the vacuum lines and replace any which appear to be cracked.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »
Hey there!  How did the AirCare test go for you?  I live in Maple Ridge.  I put a C converter in mine when I re-did the exhaust system.  I have an 84 wagon.  Have you read about the Western Canada meet in Calgary this August?  It's going to be on the long weekend which is August 1st (probably) ::).  If you can swing it, it would be a great opportunity to meet some of the other nesters. 

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

1988eagle

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:04 PM »
Hey Bird-o.  I didn't go through AirCare yet as monday was a holiday and I wasn't thinking.  I did drive it all weekend though and had a blast.  The Calgary meet sounds cool but I've got plans to head into the mountains near Squamish for a heavy metal campout.  It would be cool to get a southwestern BC cruise and BBQ going sometime.  I wonder how many Eagles we could draw? :amc:

1988eagle

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
Update...

Took the bird through AirCare and told them that I don't believe the Canadian cars ever had Cats, although the label under the hood says mine did.  After some calls the manager told me that they started installing them on 1985 and newer model Eagles.  Bummer... automatic fail.  Took the test anyway to see where she stands and get three months insurance.  She did poorly, only passing on one or two of the tests.  They did however run it as a car and not a light truck as it is officially classified.

When I was camping a couple weeks ago I must have busted the exhaust hangers and she came out of the bush much louder than she went in to it.  A couple of days later the whole pipe was dangling  near the ground which I quickly remedied with some wire coat hangers.  I had the exhaust all fixed up yesterday and had them slap in a new Cat.

So now I'm thinking good tune up, plugs and wires, etc...  go through AirCare, this time make sure they run only the light truck tests, and with any luck...

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
My '86 doesn't have a cat, nor any evidence that it ever did.

Is there a sticker on your driver's door that says "catalyst"?
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
My '86 doesn't have a cat, nor any evidence that it ever did.

Is there a sticker on your driver's door that says "catalyst"?
I'm just wondering, since yours appears to never have had a cat on it, does it still say "unleaded fuel only" on the dashboard?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

1988eagle

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
   There is no mention of catalyst on the door but under the hood just in front of the passenger seat there is a sticker that, along with tune up info, reads:
                                                                                 EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM
                                                                                    FFB + EGR + P-AIR + CAT

Furthermore, under the gas cap are those little holes and junk that are, as one tester told me, indicative of a catalytic converter.  I called Bullshit, but he remained steadfast.  Mine does have a sticker that says UNLEADED FUEL ONLY.  It's next to the gas receptacle/filly bit under the licence plate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk