News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings from Salt Lake City!  (Read 10139 times)

Kaboc

Greetings from Salt Lake City!
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Hi!  My name is Paul (Username Kaboc), and I'll admit I've been a frequent guest to the Nest.  Anyway I figured its about time to join in and share.  Though I have no idea of hat to share, so I'll share what comes to mind.

I bought an 1982 Eagle Wagon Limited in May of last year.  Early last year I caught the AMC bug BAAAAAAAAADDD!  I was so excited by AMCs that my Mopar (Plymouth) grandpa lent me the money I needed to buy the Eagle.  Now it is a joint project for us.

Currently my baby isn't in running condition, but I hope to have it on the streets terrorizing Subaru Outbacks soon-ish (1-3 years).  When I bought my Eagle the previous owner had stated that he couldn't get the transmission to engage gears, and that he finally put it up for sale because one day he couldn't even get the engine to start, and didn't want to take the time to try and fix it.  My grandfather and I have been able to get the engine to start, but it still won't engage gear (LONG STORY).

Anyway, I figure that with the help of people here on the Nest I'll be able to get my proud and noble bird flying down the road again!  And I've run out of steam, if there is anything that I've forgotten or that you all would like to know, please reply.  I look forward to getting to know you all!

rohnk

Re: Greetings from Salt Lake City!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
Hi Paul,
Nice save to bring back another Eagle. I picked up an SX/4 myself just this last December. It too will be given a though cleaning and lots of worked planned on it. I want to make a driver/show car out of it. I've always liked the Eagles since my first car was an SX/4. It's not true that you can't go back! I'm reliving part of my childhood by having this Eagle!

Have fun and post pictures! I'd love to see your new project!

Rohn

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
Welcome.   If you haven't done so, check for false neutral.  There are many posts here about it.  You should be able to do a search for it.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »
Welcome to the Nest, Paul. 

Eggs to you for saving one.  That's one more that won't see the crusher.  There are tons of write-ups and how-to's to fix, and mod your eagle.   

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »
Welcome to the nest.  what section of Salt Lake City you live in (I lived in and around west jordan, Utah for nearly 12 years).  As far as the not going into gears goes do you have an automatic or a manual bird? (after checking for false neutral of course)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Kaboc

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
I currently live in West Jordan, and have for ten plus years (most of my childhood), of course I did go to Logan Utah for college.  I'm twenty-three, and started catching the AMC bug when I saw at my school, Utah State University, an Eagle wagon parked.

As to my Eagle's (Auto) transmission problems I should probably start the story at the time of purchase.  When I bought the Eagle I also got a bonus transmission out of it.  The previous owner was a guy 'round about my age who had a pair of Hornet liftbacks and the Eagle.  He had apparently had trouble with the original transmission in the Eagle so he had switched out the transmission and transfer case with the transmission from one of his Hornets.  When I bought the Eagle I loaded the Eagle's original transmission and transfer case into the back of my grandpa's truck and the Hornet transmission was and is still bolted in.

I'm considering swapping out the auto transmission with a manual when I have the money, and the time, as I'd like to have better fuel economy.  Either way, regardless of what it is that is wrong with the transmission in my Eagle, I'm not too concerned about the one in it.

Sorry, I probably should have included that in my previous post.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
Check the eaglepedia dor the trans swap. I went from auto to manual no problems.

And I love it over that slush box. I will do it to others when I find replacements

Manitowoc WI

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
if you are interested in a set of pedals for the swap send me a personal message and i can throw them in the back of the rental car when i take the family back to visit the in laws.  i will be staying in ogden but I have to head to cottonwood and magna to visit some close friends.  If you live in west jordan you probaly seen me at least a few dozen times at smiths because I used to work graveyards there till i moved back home 
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »
Welcome to the Nest.  So, you have a two wheel drive transmission in the car now?  If so I hope all the other parts like the drive shafts are still in your possession.   I guess the first thing I would do is get that 2WD transmission out of the car and then see what you need to return it to a 4WD version.  I am guessing a lot of things did not happen when he stuck that transmission in.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline SleepsUnderCars

• Eagle crazy
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 62
  • the last truckload of Eagles ?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
just a thought......could it be a difference of a lockup/ non-lockup converter? I'm not really familar with Hornets.
'81 AMC EAGLE KAMMBACK rustbucket - off road only
'84 AMC EAGLE SEDAN
'68 Rambler Rogue 
'88 Dodge Ramcharger 
'07 Chrysler Pacifica (family hauler)
'80 AMC Spirit   ** FOR SALE **
'85 EAGLE WAGON sport   -bad frame future project

Kaboc

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:28 AM »
Welcome to the Nest.  So, you have a two wheel drive transmission in the car now?  If so I hope all the other parts like the drive shafts are still in your possession.   I guess the first thing I would do is get that 2WD transmission out of the car and then see what you need to return it to a 4WD version.  I am guessing a lot of things did not happen when he stuck that transmission in.

I'm guessing lots of things didn't happen too.  I'm fairly sure that he was/is as well meaning and clueless as I am about diagnosing/fixing problems.

Anyway, I did make sure to get the front drive shaft, transfer case, and original transmission for the Eagle when I bought the car.  The rear drive shaft was installed at the time of purchase.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »
are you not running a front driveshaft?
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
I can't see how he could if indeed there is a 2WD transmission in it, which it sure sounds like it has.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Kaboc

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 03:47:14 AM »
Thats right, I have a RWD trannsmission in my Eagle.  The previous owner installed it after the original failed.  With the RWD transmission installed (like I have now) there is no space for the transfer case.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »
wow! an eagle without a transfercase is just a concord ;D
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk