News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 04:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 130671 times)

wagoneerhauler

Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
Nice work Whuntmore!  Looks good.  I have a bucket that was shot on the SX/4.  However it looked like that pic you have with the melted hole.  Seemed like it got very hot or even caught fire but there was no other evidence of that.  So I guess I will never know why it looked that way...

And one word of caution:  please have some decent ventilation when melting the plastic.  I have used an iron to melt holes in custom electronics cases and the fumes can be horrendous.  They won't leave the house for quite a bit too so the garage or outside are better choices.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »
Thanks everyone, and if it's too cold to be outside, I'm next to the patio door that's wide open.  That stuff does stink like heck.

Teamamc:  I did check that out (I use the rapid fix to repair my grills.) and that looks pretty cool.  That and the plastic welder thingy. 

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
Bucket saved!    Yes, we need to start doing more and more of this type of thing as our parts start to dry up.

Agreed.  Very nice work.  I am impressed.  Any chance you want open a repair business where we can send you broken or cracked buckets and grills for repair?  Just a thought.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  As far as doing a repair business (I know you're half-serious) Well...  If there was a buck in it, I'd consider it.   But the problem is, I could fix - already semi-brittle 23+ year old plastics, and ship them back, and then the rest gets broke.  That would suck.  I would also have to invest in a better plastic melter.

It's too bad it costs soo much to have molds created (unless you can do it yourself).  That's what we need to keep exploring - having this stuff being made brand new (remade) then just fixing.  I'm just desperate to be doing this kind of repair, and I also wanted to see if it was possible.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:02:59 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
Just got my small shipment from the eagle's nest store, and got my adjusters (among my other things)

It's all ready to go back on the car.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
Yeah havinng someone who could fix these well like that is a great idea, but you are right.  Shipping would destroy the whole endeavor, not to mention destroy some rare parts.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Exactly.  I wouldn't trust any shipping company unless I was paying thru the nose.  They are not careful enough... etc.

That's my biggest issue - (That and getting cancer from too much fumes!   ;D )  and we're still fixing old parts.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
Exactly.  I wouldn't trust any shipping company unless I was paying thru the nose.  They are not careful enough... etc.

That's my biggest issue - (That and getting cancer from too much fumes!   ;D )  and we're still fixing old parts.

Yeah it is a nice thought, but it would be too expensive for sure.  Did not think about the fumes. 

Great work though.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
Quite noxious to be sure.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »
Just a quick update:  I got the headlight bucket on my car now, and it worked great.  I tightened it up, and no re-cracking, so this type of repair works fine.  (I'll get some updated pictures of it on the car - Pics I took yesterday were blurry)

I also ordered in some parts from a local auto supply store - One of the guys who works there, is in our AMC chapter here in Calgary, so I get much better help then the usual.  I got two back shocks, and two windshield washer motors

I'll get a pic of the new shocks today.

I also have two new upper ball joints coming on friday, and we're probably gonna strip all the new front end parts outta Ian's T-boned wagon (more on that later)

Still can't find the short in the wires, but I know bloody well everything turns on the buzzer:  Honk the horn, and buzzer also comes on, step on the brake, and buzzer comes on, use the pwr locks, and buzzer comes on.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »
Bucket saved!    Yes, we need to start doing more and more of this type of thing as our parts start to dry up.

Agreed.  Very nice work.  I am impressed.  Any chance you want open a repair business where we can send you broken or cracked buckets and grills for repair?  Just a thought.

I went to Canadian tire yesterday, and I got one of those Soldering guns (Like I used to own when I was young) and it still comes with those plastic smoothing tips!  That's awesome, 'cause now I don't have to worry about ruining my really good soldering iron

Now, I can do more plastic repairs... Now, if someone can figure out a way to ship our plastics WITHOUT damaging them, I could probably do them.  There's only one problem:  I wouldn't be able to handle an onslaught of grilles and buckets, etc coming at me like crazy. 

There's also another part of it, who's gonna do all the sanding?   ;D  I think that would be too much for one person to take on, but I can show you all what I did, and then if any of you want to get this kit (or get the really pro thing from that plastic welding place)

this soldering gun was like $45 Can.  It's a Weller Universal Multi-purpose soldering Gun Kit, It's made by Cooper Tools, and The kit number is 8200PK.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
Nice

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
Let us know how that gun works out.  I have one or two of them too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
Looks like I need to add a few things to my tool wish list after reading this topic again.  Thanks for documenting all of this.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
Well, the soldering gun is really good for small jobs, but I wouldn't want to do production with it.  The Bloody thing gets pretty hot... I had to wear a glove after a bit.  I don't know how expensive the good plastic welders are, but if you're short on cash, and you want to do the plastic (grille, buckets, etc) on your car, it's not a bad purchase.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk