News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 25, 2024, 05:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello From Plymouth, INDIANA.  (Read 24879 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Hello From Plymouth, INDIANA.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »
Did the seller list what it is equipped with?  If so it appears he/she is somewhat knowledgeable about AMC but perhaps not Eagles.  It should have and probably does a TF 998 transmission; 904's were found behind I-4 cars and are used sometimes as replacements.  Might be worth checking though.  It has a Dana 35 rear end which is pretty much what the old AMC 15's were called later on.  But, it should be a sprung over D35 not a sprung under Model 15; again, it probably is.

If they are AMC knowledgeable there may be a reason why its listed as a parts car.  There is a chance that important underbody components have been destroyed by rust.  So, it would be hard for me to give a value without knowing what lurks under the car.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Yes he did. He said that it it has around 145k miles on it. The car has very little rust other than surface rust on the underbody and a hole in one of the corners of the trunk area that looks like it's from the rear hatch leaking. It was sprayed with under armor every few years according to the previous owner. I purchased it in July from a lady in Kenosha who owned it for 8 years and used it as a daily driver. Other than the carb issues, the only other thing that was keeping her from continuing to drive it is that the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted. He is asking 1200 for the whole car.
Here are some pictures of it before the trim was removed and the engine was worked on:
http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a464/scoutcl/EagleWagon/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:19:10 PM by Eagle1983 »
Eagles never die.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
is it me or do those pics look familiar.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »
Does not look too bad.  I would want to check some of the areas under the car more closely as the pictures in your album do not zero in on some of the known areas of concern.  Strut rod bushings need replacement so that might help with $50 - $100 of your negotiations.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Just wondering how much would it cost to put a new Vinyl top on a 1986 Four door sedan. Also if there are no other rust problems or problems on the 1988, is 1200-1000 a good price for it, also how much would it cost to have the carb put on and the Shifter linkage/cable adjusted What would I use to put the trim and badges back on the Eagle. What are the know problem areas I should be looking for on the bottom of the car. also where could I find new strut rode bushings, are they the same as jeeps. Did the 1988 Eagle still have the AMC badge on the back hatch. Also I was looking at other peoples AMC Eagles and I swear the one for sale looks like TinMan's AMC Eagle or is it just me. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:43:43 PM by Eagle1983 »
Eagles never die.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 09:11:42 PM »
No exterior AMC badges on the '88 Eagles.  Adjusting the the shifter is pretty easy and would be a good do it yourself project.  Vinyl roof on a car with a vinyl roof will be pricey and I bet you will find rust under the top, just below the rear quarter windows.  If you are putting the original carb back on and everything is there, then that is a easy project too.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »
Strut rod bushings were available from Advance Auto a while back, and probably Rock Auto.
They are probably also available from a number of other places.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 11:28:31 PM »
HI, I have found a 1987 Eagle limited wagon close to me in Goshen, IN. The body and interior are in good overall shape, body is a off white with gold trim, inside is tan leather. except that in the back hatch one of the brackets is broken. It has been in storage for 4 years and the seller said he is selling it for his son,which is a member on here. The only odd thing about it is that there is a slight ticking when it runs almost sounds like a watch, not to sure if that is a problem. Also for some reason he would not let me test drive it, something about insurance. What is your guys opinion, I was really hoping to test drive it to, seems odd he will not let people do that, kind of hard to sell a car if no one can drive it, also by the way, if the person who is the guys son happens to read this could you let him know that, it is hard to sell a car if no one can drive it. was really disappointed, would have made a offer too. Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:32:40 PM by Eagle1983 »
Eagles never die.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
Ticking could be a lifter or the timing chain.  Does it go away with rpm increases or just get faster sounding?  I would be worried, too, about not being able to test drive it.   He is probably not carrying insurance on it, but could probably add it to his policy for a few days to let a serious buyer drive the car.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
the ticking is probly the valves needing an adjusting.  Adding some lucas oil treatment will quiet it down (Mavericke will vouch) but adjusting the valves is the best bet to get rid of the ticking
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
Valves are non adjustable.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I was not able to gun the engine, the seller would not get out of the drivers seat while it was running, if it is the lifter how much would it cost to fix, would the top half of the engine need rebuilt, I agree you would think he would have gotten insurance on it, I even told him if you could test drive it I would make him a offer right there, The interior is in good shape even has the power locks and cassette player in it with the original limited hubcaps, I have a feeling he was not expecting so much interest so soon, He carb was sticking probably from being in storage for 4 years, plus he had not even tuned it up, worse of all it had not plates and he said it was still running off of the same gas that had been it while it had been in storage!.I think I will give him a week then call again and see if he will let me test drive it then, what makes me mad is that it is exactly what I am looking for and I drove about an hour just to find out I could not drive it, plus he said he is having some one from upper Michigan coming sunday, hopefully he told the guy he can not test drive it or that could go badly,Also he mentioned that at first when he puts the car into gear the engine bogs down for a few seconds is that normal or just from not running for a couple of years.
Eagles never die.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
I would guess its lifter related. They shouldvunstick most likely?

Manitowoc WI

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the response, So would It be a major repair to make to the engine like a rebuild, also is it bogging down when it shifts normal or is that a problem,I am just asking because I am looking for a daily driver and do not want to have the car in the shop to do a bunch of engine related repairs. What would I need to do to fix the knocking exactly. Thank you for your time, I will probably call the guy next week to see if he is willing to let people test drive it, if he still has it, closest one to were I live, only other one close is 4 hours away in Ohio.Also the power locks do not work right and the drivers side window is broken.
Eagles never die.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
Ticking or knocking.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk